Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need of Floorplan Manager

JanarthananE
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been working on Webdynpro for sometime, now I am introduced to FPM for webdynpro abap. WDA is a web based application, FPM also web based application. Then Why FPM is better then WDA. Can anyone suggest Why we need FPM and Why FPM is better than WDA.

Thanks in advance

Jana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hendrik_brandes
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jana,

with FPM you will get some features, you will miss within WD4A:

CodeFree UI: You can create WDA-Application without programming one line of code within your UI. You can configure your UIs but just on top of the metadata which you will provide with your feeder-classes.

Event-based processing: You are encapsulated from the classical WD4A-Event cycle and get special events on your feeders ( e.g. SAVE, CANCEL ... ). Furthermore, FPM handles all main actions like closing your application, ask for changes etc...

The feeder concept gives you the possibility to move all UI-coding in a layer beyond the UI and so you can have more control about what you want to show in the UI.

Some more "small" features: Configuration and no modifiication of existing applications, CI-guideline compliant, one single user-experience. And some more cool features. Starting with EhP3 you will get a powerful UI-Designer called FLUID, which let you customize your UIs like WYSIWYG.

If you want some information about architectural structure, look here: http://scn.sap.com/community/web-dynpro-abap/floorplan-manager/blog/2011/11/28/using-floorplan-manag... and http://scn.sap.com/community/web-dynpro-abap/floorplan-manager/blog/2011/12/16/create-a-clear-struct....

One hot topic, I forget: By using FPM, you can save time: I estimate, that a FPM-Application will cost 30%-50% less comparing with a classical WD4A-Application.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JanarthananE
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Khushboo,

Thanks for reply, i dont have permission to use Search UIBB, i had used only Tabbed UIBB, can you elaborate more about why we choose FPM and what is the actual use of FPM... is there any sample scenario based example.

Regards

Jana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. So You used Tabbed UIBB. You must have realized even when using the Tabbed UIBB that your effort would have reduced drastically with not having to code so much.

So one benefit is reduced coding. The configuration takes care of a lot of things about which we dont have to bother.

Plus, as I mentioned in my previous post, newer features may be added which will be available only in the FPM. So its best for us to use FPM to develop applications in case we need to enhance our applications later.

A very Simple example is:

VIEW1 has a button NEXT.

VIEW2 has a button BACK.

Now if you do not use FPM, you code for NEXT and BACK. Plus you create navigation link between the two..

If you use GAF, you do not have to code for NEXT or BACK or create any navigation link between the windows. The configuration takes care of this. And.......

The Application looks so much better and elegant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

FPM lets you provide consistent look and feel to your applications and also gives you almost ready to use components with minimal amount of coding required on your part since a lot of things can be handled only by Configuration.

For e.g. If you have worked with SEARCH UIBB, you would understand, how difficult it would be to develop such a screen with Web Dynpro.

And since its a newer approach, we may get newer enhancements which may work only with FPM and not Web Dynpro. So it is good if we follow that approach too.