Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

project version creation & comparisons - Change documents

former_member221039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI PS experts,

I would like to know the difference between project versions/comparisons & change documents in Project system.

I have a requirement of changes in complex projects from time to time, Changes mainly on planned costs of each activity either for material component or ext.services management in network and subsequently when we raise PR with different costs.

ie., at the creation stage of project newtork : X activity - Material component -- Rs. 1000 /1, accordingly budget assignment & assignment released, but after 3 months, the PR is created for the X activity - Material component - Rs. 2000/1 has gone,

All the above such changes in the project network activities, viewed in Change documents or Project versions,

Please let me know which one to be used for my requirement.

thanks/srihari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ediga,

The best option for you would be to go for Project version creation. Change documents would also help but wont be that flexible when you would want to compare values/costs etc.

I recently used the project version creation functionality to develop a Z report. You can take the project versions at regular intervals and use them for comparison purpose.

Regards,

Gokul

former_member221039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I have got the clarity on Project versions & change documents.

I am going with project versions & comparisons, but in this regard, i am finding some issue while compare the project versions, ie., Network activity component wise cost is not dislayed in CN41, it is consolidating the entire Components line item costs at Network header level.

For more clarity on my issue, i have enclosed jpeg screen, kindly look at suggest how i can get component wise cost in CN41 or while comparing the versions.

Please let me know whether it is possible to have the component wise cost display.

Thanks/srihari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you try the report S_ALR_87013539.

This report exclusively compares only plan costs from different project versions.

Regards,

Mahendra

former_member221039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi

I have checked the report S_ALR_87013539, but it is not any much use, because even this report also does not give component wise cost breakup it is giving cumulative of Network-Ext.processing - components costs at header level.

Hope my issue is clear, as i am not able to attache Jpeg screen for you to understand in detail.

I am satisfied with project versions for comparisons screen, except the above issue.

thanks/srihari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Try to create versions for project every month that you can use those versions for comparisions.

you can use the CN41N transaction to review version comaparision.

Change document is another tracking functionality to keep track of what changes have made so far at what time.

Better create Versions using CN72 every month and compare them using either CN41N or S_ALR_87013539.

As you said it will not detail out and display as you are looking in S_ALR_3539. Otherwise you can use the CNS60 for change document at individual level.

Regards,

Sudhakar

former_member221039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi sudhakar,

I agree and I am going with creation of project versions using CN71 or CN72 and comparing versions.

I am looking for is there any solution for getting component values in comparing versions, atleast by Zreport, if so please guide me what are the tables are to be considered.

thanks/srihari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ediga,

It would be better if you create a Z report to achieve the desired results. The tables that you would need to consider are VSPROJ_CN, VSPRPS_CN, RPSCO. Along with this you can also incoroporate value types in your logic to enhance the performance. For e.g. 1 for Planned values, 4 for actual values, 21 for PR commitments, 22 for PO commitments.

As an additional tip i would suggest you to define a proper nomenclature for the Project versions. For e.g.If your project ID is XXXX you can have a nomenclature as XXXX)Proj ID) F (Forecast version) or O (Original) version 2012(Year) XX(Month). This will help you in developing the logic as you can sort the versions and fetch values accordingly without hampering the performance of the report. This will also help you considering the fact that the version data in the tables will increase as you will be taking versions every month for comparison.

Hope this helps. Revert if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Gokul

former_member221039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for valuable inputs.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Project version is used to capture the situation of proejct from cost,schedule perspective at a certain time. Just like you create baselines in MSProject. Versioning serves the purpose in case you want to compare what was the original project time and cost plan and what it has been since that time.There are reports where you can carry out version comparisons.

While the change documents report is more of audit trail to see what were the changes made, who made them in the project during its existance.

Regards,

Mahendra