cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW NLS(Near Line storage) a

Former Member

Dear Gurus

We are planning to go for a POC on Near Line storage. I am looking into the online documents. If any one of you guys are already using the NLS solution, I would like to know more details about.

1. About your experience with NLS

2. Pros and Cons if any?

3. What is the compression factor you all got on the data.

4. Data model changes - like activating nav attributes is easy to implement or time taking

5. Share details about your POC, how you have tested the product.

6. Any interesting facts about NLS.

Can share any personal experience related to it.

Thank you guys in advance

Regards

RS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Susanne_Kn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you raised your question already a long time ago. Just in case you did not start your POC yet...

In the meantime there is a rapid-deployment solutions from SAP available. This rapid-deployment solution is delivering a really good documentation on how to implement NLS (with or without HANA) step-by-step. Additionally, the rapid-deployment solution includes a service offering (from SAP or SAP Partners) that helps you to implement the solution in only 12 weeks. These 12 weeks include end-to-end implementation of the Near-Line storage solution with SAP Sybase IQ for a 3-tier SAP BW landscape that includes training, go-live preparation and go-live support.

As a customer or partner, you will find more information on "SAP NetWeaver BW Near-Line Storage rapid-deployment solution" on SAP Service Marketplace: http://service.sap.com/rds-nls . You need your s-user.

You might want to check my blog on the solution as well...

Best regards,

Susanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susanne,

Thank you for your information. We have completed the POC and the results are impressive. We have not started the actual implementation due to some high level decision pending.

Regards

SR

Susanne_Kn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi SR,

happy to hear that. In case you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Susanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susanne,

It will be timely if you can send me more info on the rapid solution for NLS.

Thanks

Raj

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member

Hi Ram,

Here is the basic link ::

http://scn.sap.com/people/rainer.schlachter/blog/2011/02/17/sap-bw-730-whats-new-in-the-sap-bw-near-...

1) We have already initiated NLS implementation in my project. Basic advantage is the compression value. We are able to achieve 80-90 % compression for this archived data.This is reducing Total Cost of Ownership for the Client in long term.

2) Pros = Compression advantage ; Cons  = Still awaiting to face them. (need lot of installations)

3) 80-90 % compression

4)  Some points apart, no action can be taken on data which is archived using NLS from BW side. If you need to reload the same you need to again reload this archived data and then add the new data for the defined period.

5) The NLS will be carried out on the basis of the partitioning for CalWeek/Calmonth.

I hope this would be a bit helpfull.

Br,

Arpit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arpit

We also want to do the NLS.

1. Can you please tell me how to create the NLS Connection.

2. What to enter in Name of Class, Destination, Conn. Parameter while creating the NLS Connection.

We have SAP BW 7.5 system and Oracle 11i DBMS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the link to know more NLS based on Sybase IQ. which helps in knowing the advantage of NLS based on sybase IQ and about use of nav attributes.

Basic Advantage is its good compression range.

The NLS will be carried out on the basis of the partitioning for Calweek/Calmonth.

for more FAQ's on NLS please refer

Thanks

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a specific function module that enables you to extract data stored in NLS.

I usually use the function module 'RSDRI_INFOPROV_READ' for extract data no-stored.

Thanks in advance,

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

for reading data from NLS use class CL_RSDA_INFOPROV_QUERY and its static methods OPEN_CURSOR or SELECT. OPEN_CURSOR is used for reading large amounts of data (millions), SELECT for single data fetch. With parameter I_STORAGE_SELECTION you can define if data from online DB, NLS or both should be read.

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

using the class 'CL_RSDA_INFOPROV_QUERY' I can read only data from online DB. Infact the report dumps when I set the parameter i_storage_selection = 'N'.

This is the code:

s_field_selection-fieldname = '/BIC/ZEIOSOC'.

s_field_selection-component_index = '1'.

s_field_selection-component_name = 'ZEIOSOC'.

APPEND s_field_selection TO t_field.

s_field_selection-fieldname = '/BIC/ZEIODIRTE'.

s_field_selection-component_index = '2'.

s_field_selection-component_name = 'ZEIODIRTE'.

s_field_selection-fieldname = '/BIC/ZEIOBLDAT'.

s_field_selection-component_index = '3'.

s_field_selection-component_name = 'ZEIOBLDAT'.

s_field_selection-fieldname = '/BIC/ZEKCLIFAT'.

s_field_selection-component_index = '4'.

s_field_selection-component_name = 'ZEKCLIFAT'.

s_field_selection-aggregation_function = 'SUM'.

s_csequence = text-001.

GET TIME FIELD tim1.

*  TRY.

CALL METHOD cl_rsda_infoprov_query=>select

EXPORTING

i_infoprov             = 'ZEODTEBK'

*     i_t_entries            =

i_t_entry_fields       = t_entryfield

i_t_field_selections   = t_field

*     i_r_selection_set      =

i_where_condition      = s_csequence

*     i_append               = 'X'

*     i_order_by_primary_key =

*     i_hint                 =

i_storage_selection    = 'N'

*     i_storage_selection    = cl_rsda_infoprov_query=>c_storage_selection-all

CHANGING

c_t_data               = i_output_all.

Thanks in advance,

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

it is not possible to say what is wrong here from the description. You have to get the parameters right. Also RSADMIN parameter RSDAI_LOOKUP has to be setup correctly (normally to value = 3, but this depends on NLS solution you have). There where also some bugs in the SAP interface, so there might be also some relevant SAP notes for the problem (this depends on your release). In general I suggest you contact your implementation partner for help, they should have some templates / guidelines. We at DataVard have even automated lookup translator to automate the change of lookups, since the translation itself can be a lot of work.

Cheers,

Martin

former_member188080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran

We have some doubt while implemention NLS

1. Can you please tell me how to create the NLS Connection.

2. What to enter in Name of Class, Destination, Conn. Parameter while creating the NLS Connection.

We have SAP BW 7.5 system and Oracle 11i DBMS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

in order to use NLS you will need additional solution which will provide the service itself. Options are:

1) 3rd party NLS solution which SAP Certified

2) SAP solution which is available as of BW 7.30  SP 9 - here you will have to purchase SybaseIQ which is used as a storage for NLS data.

Normally it makes sense to make a small research about which solution is the best for your individual case (usage, pricing, administration etc.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi himanshu,

The below is the link in general for creating a NLS connection.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/46/7aa4d824cb0e9ce10000000a155369/content.htm

How the details needs to be filled for creating connection depends on the kind of NLS Server you might be using . For eg. 3rd party NLS server may be from IBM,Sybase IQ,etc.

The below link provides the details to be kept for 3rd party NLs server as Sybase IQ.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/e8/395401e46f4edca50aefeead7f3a44/frameset.htm

Hope this helps.

Br,

Arpit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

regarding your questions please also see my answer to your previous post.

I can also confirm the compression factor of 80-90%. To my knowledge all NLS solutions offer a similar compression factor.

If you need to speak to someone who has a NLS solution installed, feel free to contact me. I can connect you to someone.

best regards,

Joseph

Former Member
0 Kudos