cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Runtime Engine warning during Compile.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am receiving 2 warnings when creating a setup project for a VB2010 solution.  The 2 warnings are:

Warning 1 The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite. S:\Projects\Development\VB.net\Phantom\SourceCode\Setup\Setup.vdproj Setup

Warning 2 The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite. S:\Projects\Development\VB.net\Phantom\SourceCode\Setup\Setup.vdproj Setup

My project is a .NET 4 project so I am unsure why Crystal is requesting .NET 2.0.  When I look in the prerequisites for the setup project, .NET 2.0 is not an available option.

'Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8, is not available either.  Why is this error being show?  Will it stop my program form working when installed?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Re. Framework.

- There are some DLLs that require framwork 2.0. E.g.; crdb_adoplus.dll - used for ADO .NET Datasets.So, framework 2 is needed, irrespective of actual DLLs used.

Re. Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8' crystal net

- Only a guess; some dbs we may be asked to connect to will still need to use Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8, thus the dependency(?).

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can I make Visual Studio 2010 include these prerequisites when they aren't included in the available list? 

0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

It may be because of Linq in the References, you may not need it. It's MDAC 2.8 is what it's looking for. Search MSDN for the redist package for MDAC.

Do you need to include it? It's only because you have a dependency in the app, if you are not using it then remove the reference.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

The project I am currently testing with contains 1 form with a crystal report viewer and a blank crystal report.  All of the requirements/prerequisites are coming from the fact that I added a crystal report to the project.

From your explanation, I probably won't need .NET 2.0 or MDAC 2.8 for my real project to work correctly as I don't use linq or anything that would require the MDAC components.  (isn't MDAC for Microsoft Access connectivity?)

So it seems that these warning will appear for anyone who attempts to use crystal reports with Visual Studio 2010.  Maybe SAP could put a notice on the download page that MDAC 2.8 will be required.  But I'm not sure how to get around the .NET 2.0 issue.  Seems like it's still going to throw a warning, unless I can include .NET 2.0 and 4.0 as prerequisites at the same time.  Isn't this something SAP should address?

0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

As Ludek indicated CR has a dependency on 2.0 framework, no way around this but you don't need to include, we don't and just a dependency CR requires. You don't have to include in your redist package and MS likely would prefer you don't. As for MDAC we don't have any dependencies on it so not sure why it is indicating it is required.

Try building a new project with all of the includes you have in your may project but this time don't include ANY Crystal parts and see what or why or if MS is still asking for those dependencies.

What our instlaler does is checks if the 2.0 Framework is installed if it then it moves on if not then it pop's up a messag eindicating to install it first.

We'll do a quick test here to confirm.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

My test project (which has the 2 Crystal warnings) only has a
single form with a crystal report viewer and a blank crystal report. There’s no
code at all. The MDAC warning is definitely coming from Crystal

I was doing a little more research and came across a very
similar post on this forum. It directed me to the product.xml file in the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0
folder.

It has the following entry.

<RelatedProducts>

<DependsOnProducd Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0" />

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8" />

</RelatedProducts>

So this is why visual studio is requesting MDAC 2.8 and .Net
2.0. Even though it's not needed (by me or my code) something inside Crystal
reports uses potions of it for purposes not related to my project.

It's just one of those things that might come back to haunt me
at some point. It would be nice if the project would compile without errors or
warnings like it did in Visual Studio 2008 (on a previous project).

0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

Neither Ludek or I have a product.xml file on our test machines and I am possitive we DO not have a dependency on MDAC. Where did that file come from?

Check your app References folder, I'm thinking it may be pointing to an older version of VS or CR locations.

Do you have any other verison of CR or VS on this PC?

Because CR for VS 2010 will support 2.0 to 4.0 framework I son't see why it would be specifying 2.0 framework. That is part of the Project and should not be in the boot strapper.

What happens if you simply rename that xml file, delete it or move from your project?

Don

[UPDATE]

I take it back, there is one included in the Clickonce package and it does specify both 2.0 and MDAC. ClickOnce assumes nothing is install so it includes everything. If that's the case then use it, if you don't want it then use the MSI or Merge Modules.

We will check with the Build why MDAC is include, I'm curious now myself.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Yes I do have Visual Studio 2008 in additional to Visual Studio 2010 and previously had an earlier verion of the Crystal Runtime redist.

Here is another screen shot of the project settings.  Maybe this will help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just installed the new redists last week, both 32 and 64 bit.  So where does this product.xml file come from?  I thought it was created by Crystal when I installed the redistributables.  I will look at my home PC tonight as I haven't installed crystal on it yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I can confirm that this file has nothing to do with the redistributables.  The product.xml file is created when I install the CrystalReports for Visual Studio add on.  I checked the file content and the same requirements are listed.

-<RelatedProducts>

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0"/>

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8"/>

</RelatedProducts>

0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

After searching more we did find it. I pinged the PM for the SDK and he confirmed it is likely a left over for legacy purposes and you can either comment those two lines out or simply ignore the warnings.

Thnaks again

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just comment out those lines like this:

<!-- <RelatedProducts> -->

<!--   <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.4.0" /> -->

<!--   <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8" /> -->

<!-- </RelatedProducts> -->

And all will be well 

Answers (0)