cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services and Information Steward Relationship

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to Information Steward. I am trying to understand whether
SAP Business Objects data services part of Information Steward or not?

When I read documentation on Data Services it seems it
includes similar things as Information Steward for quality management. Looks
like, at some point SAP decided to make a new product called Information Steward?
Is it correct, so what is in Information Steward that is not in Data Services
and same the other way (what is in Data Services which is not in Information
Steward). My company is going to set Information Steward next year, want to get
an idea what it covers?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Prem,

welcome to SAP Information Steward community!

SAP Data Services (or Data Quality Management) and SAP Information Steward are two solutions from the EIM portfolio, that address different users within the company and support different task to be executed to support broader Information Governance projects.

While generally speaking, SAP Information Steward enables customers to interactively analyze the data assets they have and the quality level of these data assets including the DQ Scorecard enabling them to drill down to the failed records and the impact/lineage analysis to identify even root causes or impact for failed records; they are then using SAP Data Services to move data between these assets (e.g. loading data warehouse etc.) and to cleanse the failed data (using Data Cleanse, Address Cleanse transforms), create links or match records to each other (using the Match transform) or even enrich their data (using the GeoCoder transform).

So from an Information Governance perspective they are complementary by allowing identification of data quality issues and monitoring of the issues over time as well as then defining actions on how to remediate these identified data quality issues.

They have a tight integration as they allow to share e.g. Validation rules identified within IS, so that you can embedd same Validation rules into a batch or Real-time job within Data Services Jobs (ETL, data movement, real-time web service call); you can have your business user create and maintain the Cleansing Packages content (data domains, data dictionary, parsing and standardization rules) and directly publish it to DS to embed it into a DS data movement job or real-time job.

New within the 4.1 family of Information Steward an Data Services is the Match Review User Interface where Business Users or Data Stewards can review the Match Groups identified within the Data Services batch processes (especially the ones that are between a similarity of 100 and xx%) within the Information Steward User Interface, confirm or change the match groups as well as having these updates approved by a Master Data steward before final processing e.g. in a Mailing List or in a MDM load.

The SCN provides some nice detail information on Learning Data Services and on Learning Information Steward

Best overall insight you might get form the EIM Wiki: http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/EIM/EIM+Home

Niels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Niels:

Thanks a lot.

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can we import the IS Views into SAP BODS Data Services and export their data.

I need to have the process automated via which we export the Views of IS into .CSV Format.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sid

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182921
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prem ,

I want more description about relationship between Information steward and Data Services

paula_augedahl
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Abhishek,

If you see KBA 1642384, you will see some information on various functions in Information Steward's where Data Insight utilizes portions of Data Services to perform its various functions.   (KBA search can be found at: http://service.sap.com/xsearch )

Also, see the Information Steward installation and user's guides for info.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Paula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can we import the IS Views into SAP BODS Data Services and export their data.

I need to have the process automated via which we export the Views of IS into .CSV Format.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sid

former_member319713
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Answer to : Can we import the IS Views into SAP BODS Data Services and export their data.

If your requirement is to import views and the data from view then you can achieve this from IS tool itself. When you select view there is a option for 'view data', you can download this data in .csv format into your local machine. Please let me know if this anwer is helpful.