cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria 6.6 can't send outbound notifications to android device

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We've installed Afaria 6.6 as described in the installation guide, we've also installed the patch 2011_06. We have not yet installed the Relay Server.

At this point we can enroll android devices via the enrollment policies. At enrollment we run a channel set with an inventory channel and a configuration channel. These steps were performed.

But now we want to force to apply a channel on the device from the Afaria Administrator but here we get following error:

ONS1003: Could not connect to client, "Client", with Client GUID, "{GUID}". The specified host, "ip", cannot be reached.

Do we need to open an outbound port for these connections if we do not use the Relay server?

Another question regarding Android devices: In a Configuration Manager Channel we want to disable the Camera but this does not seem to work?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Robin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

D_Olderdissen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

With Afaria 6.6 you got three types of options for outbound notifications

• By IP address
    Afaria tries to reach the device by it's last know IP address. Naturally, mobile devices have different IP's all the time and this feature is meant to be used with Windows PC's and not mobile devices. So not applicable for you.
  • By C2DM
    C2DM is the Google notification interface that Afaria can use. But - you need to configure it first and setup Afaria to use and reach the C2DM server. AND - C2DM was recently depreciated by Google, so you can not create new accounts anymore. Only if you already got a C2DM account you can still use it. Afaria team is working on getting a hotfix together to support the next Google notification service.
  • By SMS (Short Messaging Service)
    Afaria can send SMS to the device, but you need to set this up first. Most customers use an Email2SMS gateway. You can also use a SMPP or serial SMS Modem.

So SMS will be your best bet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Do you have any idea when the hotfix regarding the next Google Notification Service will be ready?

Regarding the SMS Gateway:

- Which Email2SMS gateway do you suggest for this? Is there any Documentation about how we can set this up? For example if we use an Email2SMS gateway then we configure SMTP on the afaria admin, but what do we need to configure in the sms gateway (I assume SMPP and SMS Modem are not needed then)?

- Can we use an Email2SMS with the smtp of gmail or do we need an exchange server for example?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Robin

D_Olderdissen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

(/Incorrect Information -  I think a BETA GCM fix for Afaria 7.x is around, so release should be close. It is not yet available on frontline.sybase.com.  - Incorrect Information/) What I do not know, if or when the GCM functionality is planned for Afaria 6.6.

If you guys are just setting up Afaria, what is the reason you are still on 6.6? Keep in mind that all the new good stuff will sooner or later only be added in Afaria 7x.

As to Email2SMS, if I recall correctly, you simply point in Afaria to an SMTP gateway (open, no login) in the Afaria server settings. Then when enrolling a device, you enter the email address and not a phone number (e.g. +49174234567@sap.com). You may want to consider checking with support on how this is done in case my memory is incorrect.

Cheers,

Dirk

(/Edit - Afaria 7.1 GCM hotfix is released and available on frontline.sybase.com /Edit)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your information, we used the sms gateway and for Android everything works as expected now.

We're planning to also install Afaria 7.0 for the new features. This is just a dry run, to discover all the features first.

Thanks,

Robin

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How do we set up the new GCM instead of C2DM in 6.6 Afaria as Google has stopped pushing incoming requests for new C2DM Account.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rakshit,

For the moment I don't think there is a patch/hotfix for this in the 6.6 Afaria. So work around would be using the sms-gateway...

In Afaria 7 there is a hotfix for GCM.

Kind Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How configuration the SMS Gateway in Afaria 7?

Realization copy  the ddl´s and created new folder in bin\SMSGateway

ERROR:ONS4000: SMS-Gateway: Invalid Configuration (not starting)

Configuration:

Port :3000

Access phrase:Email2SMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angelica,

In Afaria 7 I have not yet set up the SMS Gateway. But in Afaria 6.6 i just followed the install guide: copy the ddl's from the third party page into the bin folder of smsgateway (if i remember correctly). After that we have set up an smpp service (from external partner) and enter the logon data. And that worked.

Gr,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

I managed to setup the gateway. He was the wrong port.

But, I can not lock the device. Shows the success message, but the device does not suffer action.

Message:ONS0001: Successfully sent SMS message to the Client, "6026c71c80c1413b", with Client GUID, "{3565DF05-2500-3497-9DC9-EA3C2E5342FF}", and SMS Address "0000000", instructing it to execute the USERLOCK command.

Have I configure anything else?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angelica,

Normally you should not configure anything else. In 6.6 I had to add the sms-number to the device communication. But in the Afaria 7 I do not see something like that, so I think this should be ok.

Maybe you can uninstall the afaria app from your android device and sending the same outbound notification again, just to make sure that your device is getting the sms message?

You can also use GCM for these actions instead of SMS.

Kind Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

Have I create user to configuration GCM(in google developer) or SMPP( in 2SMS)?

Because I am using user my account gmail and SMPP anything information .

Best Regards,

Angélica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angelica,

For GCM you just need your gmail user and navigate to https://code.google.com/apis/console

There you create in overview a new Project ID and note down the project number in your url (the part after project:). In Services you activate Google Cloud Messaging for Android. Then in API access you create a new Browser Key without restrictions and note down the API Key of your Browser Key.

These are the parts you'll need in Afaria. In Server --> Configuration --> Component --> GCM Server you enable GCM. Make sure the address is correct (reset to default) and enter the project number and api key. After that you just need to enable GCM in your enrollment policy (under general tab). Normally this would do the trick. Just reconnect your device with afaria server and check in the inventory if GCM Project is Present. After that you should be able to send outbound notifications via GCM.

For SMPP we have used in 6.6 also 2SMS they should have sent you a system ID and password and the connection data.

The System ID is in afaria 6.6 the username. But besides that we have not had to create user configuration in there system.

Kind Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

I configure the GCM setting as per mentioned and successfully enroll Android device to the Afaria server but I cannot lock the android device, I guess there is some problem on the GCM, May I know how to check the inventory whether GCM project is present?

Regards,

Choong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

I has create a separate tread. Welcome for your input.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3260796

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Choong

Answers (0)