Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut Over Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Scenerio:

1 country (X) already running on SAP, now, 2 more countries ( Y and Z) are migrating on SAP. Now, there are possiblities that 1 Customer is already being used by country (X), which is already on SAP, and other 2 countries might have the same customer in their Legacy with different Number ranges.

My concern is  - How to find out and avoid duplicacy of such Master Reords?

Also, other than:

1. Number Range Linking to Sales Documents, Billings (If any other Document, PLease let me know)

2. Master Data Upload - say, Customer and Condition records (if more, please let me know)

3. Open Sales Document Upload i.e. Contract, Quotation, Scheduling Agreements, Sales Orders  (if more, please let me know).

What are all Cut Over/ Data Migration Check-list from SD Point of view.

I have gone through "N" no. of threads, but most of them are theoritical, without specific details. So, if some might help me in understanding from SD point of view, I'll really appreciate.

Thanks.

-Sumi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

May i expect some more inputs on to the same.

Also, while replicating PRD database on to Test Server, what are all risks involved from Client's data security prespective?

Thanks,

-Sumi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumitra,

Similar type of requirements we had worked so I will try to touch your questions 1 by one.

Customer Duplicity :

• For this type of releases, we had suggested client to use External Number range for Customer as well as Material Codes. If you are expecting more countries as part of Multiple releases this is suggested for you.
  • Reason for it was most of the Countries if they have Similar Product Lines extended to multiple Countries with Global customers, you will have the same Material Code and Global Customers as different Codes in all of those countries in their different or Same legacy.

You can take below actions :

• First Download all the details from current Country.
  • Ask Client to Identify the Product Line as well as Global Customers which are in that list and also going to come in future.
  • Collect the Customer and Product details of the upcoming countries in Different Excels and compare it.
  • Make a List of Products and Customers which are Global
  • Upload by LSMW.

Duplicity check automatically can happen but that is another module as SAP MDM.

1. Number Range Linking to Sales Documents, Billings (If any other Document, PLease let me know)

I could not clearly understood your this question, but you will need Number Range for each every doucment for which you are creating Transaction Data.

i.e. Customer / Material / Sales Document / Delivery Document / Billing Document / PR / STO / PO.

Suggestion is just follow the standard configuration and you will see all Number Ranges needed for those configuration.

2. Master Data Upload - say, Customer and Condition records (if more, please let me know)

You can have multiple Master Data based on functionality you are using.

• Customer
  • Material
  • Price (If you are using Sales Deal / Rebate Agreement than it is additoin)
  • Output Condition Records (Sales/ Delivery/ Billing)
  • Material Listing / Exclusion
  • CMIR
  • Customer Credit update
  • Material Determination
  • Batch Determination
  • Free Goods masters
  • Text Determination
  • Text Maintenance SO10
  • Batch Master and Auto Batch Determination

All above data you need to keep prepared. Now you can make a Check list based on above details.

3. Open Sales Document Upload i.e. Contract, Quotation, Scheduling Agreements, Sales Orders  (if more, please let me know).

First point is you need to make a Strategy,

• Need to decide a Cut Off time. (After cut off time no document will be created in Legacy )
  • When will be Last SO/DLV/BIlling.
  • How much will be Black out Period.
  • which specific data you want to Bring from Legacy system to SAP system as Open documents and why?

You can have below points for example :

• Strategy which we had adopted : No Open SO will be brought from legacy system to SAP
  • Settle all Credit/Debit memos/Returns in Legacy only.
  • There must not be any Open Delivery or Open billing in Legacy which has not been posted to Accounting.

Try to minimize data which needs to be transferred and then only decide if still anything stays open go for LSMW or Manual Creation based on Number of Data.

• Stock will be most important point but I believe MM Consultant will take care of the same so you should not be worrying abt it.

Regards,

Mahendra Jani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mahendra,

This is the most appropriate answer to my expectation.

I need few more points to understand:

Strategy which we had adopted : No Open SO will be brought from legacy system to SAP

Do You mean that if there is any line item in Sales Order (Legacy), which is full/ Partial open (say out of 10 total qty, 5 is still open in SO); now, either we should deliver and bill this 5 qty, or mark it as rejected, so that SO becomes completed in Legacy.

And if we are maring it for rejection in Legacy, then we have to create a new SO in SAP for this 5 open qty.

Also, in such cases, we need to manual maintain a track from Legacy SO number to SAP SO number.

Am I right in my understanding?

Can You also suggest few sensitive points from Client's business prespective, when we replicate PRD data in to TEST server.

Many Thanks,

- Sumi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumitra,

Strategy which we had adopted : No Open SO will be brought from legacy system to SAP

Below point mention by you is exactly same what I mean by my comment.

If there is any line item in Sales Order (Legacy), which is full/ Partial open (say out of 10 total qty, 5 is still open in SO); now, either we should deliver and bill this 5 qty, or mark it as rejected, so that SO becomes completed in Legacy.

But in case of below situation we had not carry forward those Open / Rejected cases in SAP.

This decision completely depends upon what is the Business requirement.

Our client had some complicated reporting like Customer Case Fill report which they wanted to start from Fresh in SAP.

And if we are marking it for rejection in Legacy, then we have to create a new SO in SAP for this 5 open qty

If you are bringing those Open Orders in SAP then you need to use any of Field from Sales Order document to maintain those reference Order Number from legacy.

Can You also suggest few sensitive points from Client's business prespective, when we replicate PRD data in to TEST server.

I did not get above question. If you can give some more details what exactly you are looking for by this issue.

Regards,

Mahendra Jani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mahendra,

Thanks for the helpful insight.

suggest few sensitive points from Client's business prespective, when we replicate PRD data in to TEST server.

I mean when we replicate PRD data on to Test System, Client's business data is open to All (having access to Test System). From Client's prespective what could be the significant threat, to make real time data available to users.

Thanks,

- Sumi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumitra,

I mean when we replicate PRD data on to Test System, Client's business data is open to All (having access to Test System). From Client's prespective what could be the significant threat, to make real time data available to users

For this specific point, it completely depend upon type of business and type of project.

• If you are going to bring Production data from Legacy system to SAP Test system, you will bring below data for SD perspective.

- Customer

- Material

- Price

Now, It will be Business decision that they want to bring whole Product Line and it's pricing & all customers in Test system or not.

In our project

we had selected Specific Line Of Products and Customers to bring for Testing in Test system as Client had not been agreed to bring all the data from Production.

Other measures which taken was as below when Pre-Production system was loaded with complete data :

• No Third Party Vendor or Consultant will run any transaction in system
  • Only Business Users will be doing User Acceptance testing.
  • Result verification will be done by Business Core Team.

Mainly sensitive data is from Finance Side so they will take similar type of measures.

Hope this whole discussion will be useful to you.

Regards,

Mahendra Jani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mahendra,

Thanks for sharing all the important aspects of the Cut Over activities and various impacts.

Thanks,

-  Sumi.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Projects with cutover activities of this magnitude require lots of planning, preparation.

CMRs:

In various legacy systems, the same customer has different customer numbers; In SAP, there would be ONE customer number; with one set of information maintained as Central data (information in table KNA1)

- Depending upon Company codes

- Depending upon Sales areas

there would be many sets of information, for the same customer number

With the help of LSMW, you have to fill in values for each field related to Company code information (KNB1) and values for each field related to Sales area (KNVV)

The excel you would have to upload in SAP

e.g.

customer number, company code, sales org, distribution channel, division, Customer pricing procedure

1000, 1000, 1000, 00, 00, 1

1000, 2000, 2010, 00, 00, 1

1000, 2000, 2020, 00, 00, 1

1000, 2000, 2030, 00, 00, 1

1000, 3000, 3000, 00, 00, 1

1000, 3000, 3000, 00, 01, 1

One of the best learning is to test "Impacts / Effects of uploading data"

In Sandbox create a customer number 1000 by uploading relevant information

In the excel give all KNA1 (central data identical to 1000) BUT name customer number as 2000. Does system create 2 CMRs or...........?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear T W,

System will create 2 CMR.

Thanks,

former_member211616
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sumitra ,

Its a really difficult task however as Laxmipathi said down load the customer mater From KNA1 table

Or create a new z transaction type write a quarry  from KNA1 take the ADRNR number and pull the data from ADRC table u will get the address then save it in excel

And Y and Z country wt ever legacy system they are using pull the customer name address and other details and save it in excell

And tally all the customer with this 3 excel and find  similar customer

as per your requirement do the manipulation 

If u need more clarification let me know for the same

Regards

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ramesh,

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Certainly, I look forward to detailed understanding.

Is it possible to prepare .ftp file for Customer Master LSMW upload, and then SAP system itself takes care of the duplicate entry and avoid them being uploaded?

Or,

Is it the only way to first download all the existing records for Customer Master from exisiting SAP System, and prepare another Excel for Legacy Customers, and compare both the files, say for combination of Tables for NAME, ADDRESS etc..

Apart from Customer Master Upload, what are all other areas of concern in my scenerio, from SD prespective, for example Number Range (how to link no. ranges of Legacy Sales Docs with newly created SAP Sales Doc. No. ranges for order, Billing etc.)

if there any other concern areas, related to STOCk etc... Please explain the same also.

Thanks,

- Sumi.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there are possiblities that 1 Customer is already being used by country (X), which is already on SAP, and other 2 countries might have the same customer in their Legacy with different Number ranges.

The country which is going to implement SAP has to get the address of all existing customers which can be downloaded from KNA1 table.  Most importantly, you have not indicated about the sales area.  Are they going with the same sales organization or going to have a new one.  If the same sales area, then, no need of extending once again.  On the other hand, it is new sales area, then you need to upload via LSMW.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear G Lakshmipathi,

Thanks a lot for sharing the knowledge.

All countries will have different Sales Area, moreover, 1 country may have more than 2 company codes, and that to different-different Legacy systems. Also, to mention that all countires will be finally on one instance.

So, one hand, 1 country is already running on SAP with Master Data ready, and other countries have data in Legacy. So, while uploading data from Legacy to SAP, will SAP skip those records, or how?

Also, I would like to get prepared from your previous project experience/ challenges, about the various important aspects that we need to take care, from SD Prespective,

Thanks.

- Sumi.