Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner Integration with SAP

former_member538160
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

Hope every one are rocking.

recently i have came across one new requirement at my client site. they have their handheld scanners in wholesale branches, they want to create a sales order by scanning the bar code. once they scan the barcode system should automatically populate the material number into VA01.

can any one through a idea on this. how i need to go a head on this requirement, as i have not worked on BARCODE integration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alex_campbell
Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say "Handheld Scanner" do you mean a scanner plugged into a Desktop PC, or do you mean a Mobile Computer with a Barcode Scanner built in (something like a handheld device with a screen, scanner, keyboard, etc. Usually runs a mobile operating system such as Windows Embedded).

If you mean it's just a PC peripherial, like Jelena said it's just like having a keyboard, except instead of typing the material number you scan it. Of course there's potential complications: If the barcode is formatted in any special way (HIBC, GS1, etc.) there may be additional processing needed in either SAP or the Scanner Firmware to extract the Material. But SAP always sees the scanned barcode as text characters.

If you mean a Mobile Computer, SAP ECC has a set of transactions designed specifically for use on such devices (google SAP MDE). If course you'll have to work with your Basis team to determine how to interface the device with SAP. There is middleware that converts the SAP GUI into HTML for display in a web browser. Other middleware converts the screens to text and transmits them over TELNET. This is a very large topic, and I'm sure there are many resources on SDN.

4 REPLIES 4

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Normally scanners do not require any custom ABAP code. They are just a device to enter information, just like keyboard or mouse. It's just instead of typing on the keyboard the users would scan something. Some additional software/drivers may need to be installed, but this is not an ABAP scope.

Local IT always deals with the scanner installation, so I'm not sure why you would need to do anything. You might want to clarify the requirements with the customer.

alex_campbell
Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say "Handheld Scanner" do you mean a scanner plugged into a Desktop PC, or do you mean a Mobile Computer with a Barcode Scanner built in (something like a handheld device with a screen, scanner, keyboard, etc. Usually runs a mobile operating system such as Windows Embedded).

If you mean it's just a PC peripherial, like Jelena said it's just like having a keyboard, except instead of typing the material number you scan it. Of course there's potential complications: If the barcode is formatted in any special way (HIBC, GS1, etc.) there may be additional processing needed in either SAP or the Scanner Firmware to extract the Material. But SAP always sees the scanned barcode as text characters.

If you mean a Mobile Computer, SAP ECC has a set of transactions designed specifically for use on such devices (google SAP MDE). If course you'll have to work with your Basis team to determine how to interface the device with SAP. There is middleware that converts the SAP GUI into HTML for display in a web browser. Other middleware converts the screens to text and transmits them over TELNET. This is a very large topic, and I'm sure there are many resources on SDN.

Former Member
0 Kudos

put your curser in the required entry field, put the scanner on barcode and you will have whatever text written on barcode - displayed on the screen field - till this time you don't required any code-- then after if you want to interpret the text in your way you need to do coding.

we are doing this for our requirement, but it is not for VA01...try once and revert.

former_member538160
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks every one for your valuable inputs.

I got it now, scanner is just PC peripheral like key board or may be any other device connected PC.

the only thing which we need to take care is to have a proper drivers installed.

closed the thread.

Thanks,

Rakesh Karpurapu.