Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Scanner Integration with SAP

Hello Gurus,

Hope every one are rocking.

recently i have came across one new requirement at my client site. they have their handheld scanners in wholesale branches, they want to create a sales order by scanning the bar code. once they scan the barcode system should automatically populate the material number into VA01.

can any one through a idea on this. how i need to go a head on this requirement, as i have not worked on BARCODE integration.

Former Member
replied

When you say "Handheld Scanner" do you mean a scanner plugged into a Desktop PC, or do you mean a Mobile Computer with a Barcode Scanner built in (something like a handheld device with a screen, scanner, keyboard, etc. Usually runs a mobile operating system such as Windows Embedded).

If you mean it's just a PC peripherial, like Jelena said it's just like having a keyboard, except instead of typing the material number you scan it. Of course there's potential complications: If the barcode is formatted in any special way (HIBC, GS1, etc.) there may be additional processing needed in either SAP or the Scanner Firmware to extract the Material. But SAP always sees the scanned barcode as text characters.

If you mean a Mobile Computer, SAP ECC has a set of transactions designed specifically for use on such devices (google SAP MDE). If course you'll have to work with your Basis team to determine how to interface the device with SAP. There is middleware that converts the SAP GUI into HTML for display in a web browser. Other middleware converts the screens to text and transmits them over TELNET. This is a very large topic, and I'm sure there are many resources on SDN.

1 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question