Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant transaction

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Maybe a silly one but I am trying to create a variant transaction on FBL3N to pre-filter on  profit centers. Creating the variant works, so does creating a transaction but the transaction won't trigger the proper variant.

I've tried creating variant transactions with other transactions but that didn't succeed either. Several tutorials I've found don't mention possible pitfalls. What am I overlooking? Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Jurjen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to be sure whether you are creating a variant transaction (calling tcode uses screen of stndard program) or a transaction variant (standard transaction behaves differently for different users).

Using a Z* tcode (variant transaction) you can skip the first screen of the called tcode and pass parameters to it, I dont see any PCNTR option there to pass parameters to except to account number workarounds,

This "skip screen" option is anyway rather dangerout and many of the "N" transactions dont support it anymore, because you can navigave to other data via the menus (e.g. other object).

Along with BUKRS and WERKS, Profit Center is often quite high up in the food chain to control centrally and not via passed parameters. RESPAREA or KOSTL can for sure not be done this way as they change too often.

Most likely you will need all KOSTL of the PCNTR authorized as well anyway?

There is a way of doing this. Perhaps you want to attend the SAP Security Info Days in September this year to see it presented (Germany WDF and Switzeroand Zurich on 18 September).

If not, then I will try to have the presentations made available to you via SCN.

Cheers,

Julius

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heeck,

Normally variants are classified as two types, 1. screen variant and 2. transaction variant.

1. screen variants - > simply if we want to modify the screen parameter like to add a column or remove a column in a report we have to use this kind.

2. Transaction variant -> if we want to preselect the selection criteria of the report we will create the variant and stored in it.

Common tcode for create is SHD0.

Hope this clear.

0 Kudos

That part I got. Found SHD0 as well.  I'm talking about linking a transaction with transaction variant to a new transaction code. That doesn't work like I expected.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you give me a sample scenario explanation to understand better.

0 Kudos

Hi Heeck,

In that above scenario, the profit center is come under dynamic selections. So whenever you create a variant you will get the same but to view it you need to select the dynamic selection button after execute the variant.

Also check this link http://scn.sap.com/message/10406065

Hope this help.

0 Kudos

The variant works, that's not my problem. I want to have a custom tcode to start FBL3N with this variant. I can't get that to work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to be sure whether you are creating a variant transaction (calling tcode uses screen of stndard program) or a transaction variant (standard transaction behaves differently for different users).

Using a Z* tcode (variant transaction) you can skip the first screen of the called tcode and pass parameters to it, I dont see any PCNTR option there to pass parameters to except to account number workarounds,

This "skip screen" option is anyway rather dangerout and many of the "N" transactions dont support it anymore, because you can navigave to other data via the menus (e.g. other object).

Along with BUKRS and WERKS, Profit Center is often quite high up in the food chain to control centrally and not via passed parameters. RESPAREA or KOSTL can for sure not be done this way as they change too often.

Most likely you will need all KOSTL of the PCNTR authorized as well anyway?

There is a way of doing this. Perhaps you want to attend the SAP Security Info Days in September this year to see it presented (Germany WDF and Switzeroand Zurich on 18 September).

If not, then I will try to have the presentations made available to you via SCN.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Now I see what isn't working in my original idea.

Thanks!

Jurjen