Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

business layer views in IDT 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a situation here at work.

I need to create universe from different databases and also implement concept of linked universes in 4.0. Have a core universe and reuse the common components among other universes.

The data structure is divided into many datamarts [databases]. The tables used to create my core universe is in database1 and derived tables used to create my derived universes are in different databases2, db3 etc.

In universe design tool, the requirement is that all tables should reside in the same database.

But my data is distributed on different databases like this

CoreDM-is the database to create my core universe.

AdmissionDM- is the database to create derived universe1

FinanceDM- is the database to create derived universe2

PayrollDM- is the database to create derived universe3

and so on.....

Since universe linking is not availabe in 4.0, i have read about business views in universe using IDT. Can anyone please tell me steps involved in accomplishing the task.

Thanks a lot.

Maybird

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pre,

In BO 4.0 there is no linked universes. However, there is Data Federator engine embedded inside it. This allows you to create universes from different data sources.

Check the second part of this blog and you will also find some useful links how to achieve it.

http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2012/07/19/bics-vs-bapi-vs-df-rel...

swati_patil4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In BO 4.0 it is possible to create universe based on multiple database connection.

This feature is provided in Information Design Tool(IDT).

Creating universe in IDT requires to create following resources
1.Project : It is local workspace which contains all the resources to create one/multiple universes
2.Connection: It defines how universe can access a relational or OLAP data source.
3.Data Foundation:It is a schema which defines relevant tables and joins from one or more databases.
4.Business Layer: Business Layer is a collection of metadata objects.

You can create multiple connection to different database and while creating Datafoundation you can select Data foundation Type as "Multisoucrs-Enabled". Once you select this option you'll be able to see the connections which you have created.Then you can proceed further adding tables from different datasources and create a universe.

Please let me know if it helps.

Thanks,
Swati