Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which gives best chance to find entry level job among MM, SD, SCM, CRM and SAP logistics?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am desperate to get an entry level job as an SAP end user.

Question:

Which one of the following can give me a better chance to find an entry level job among :  MM, SD, SCM, CRM and SAP logistics?

Additional tips/insight will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

The answer to your question is going to be highly dependent on your local economic situation. The best thing to do is to look for companies in your local area which are already running SAP and see what openings they have.

I wrote a blog on finding an entry level job at a company running SAP once, but I can't find it, so I'll have to write it again or find it and publish it. In a nutshell:

1) Find out what companies have headquarters in your area (google/wikipedia search)

2) Find out which companies run SAP

• Search their career boards
  • Search national job search sites (Monster or Dice.com in the US, for example)
  • Search SAP User Group web sites

3) Cross reference the lists from 1) and 2).

4) Once you have a list of target companies, narrow it down by whatever criteria you prefer (geographic location, company reputation, places where you have contacts, whatever).

5) Check the corporate website for a careers section. Pay special attention to intern, recent college graduate, and or entry level sections of their corporate website.

6) Apply, apply, then apply some more!

• Create a tailored resume for EACH opening. Don't just blast a generic resume.
  • Include a cover letter that mentions something you like about their company that you've learned from your research. You want to communicate that you are interested in specifically working for THEIR company and that you've done your homework. This will distinguish you from MANY other applicants.
  • Utilize any network you have, friends, family, friends of friends, whatever to find folks who already work at the company. Arrange a meeting with someone who works at the company. Have lunch, find out everything you can even if the person you are meeting has no hiring authority, they may be able to provide you with insight into what this company is like and may also be able to provide you with contacts who do have hiring authority.

7) When you get an interview, be prepared!

• Dress for success! You don't have to overdo it necessarily, but you should dress as if you already have the job or maybe a little better. If general daily business attire is business casual, show up with a tie.
  • Do your homework! You should know what the company does and where they fit in the marketplace. Have questions ready that are relevant to the company and to the opening.
  • Do NOT focus on benefits and/or salary in the interview. You can ask those questions after you get an offer. Be ready with a number if they ask you what you're expecting, but don't initiate any conversations along this line.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started. I wish you all the best on your job search!

Best regards,

--Tom

20 REPLIES 20

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

As my suggestion is the above listed are functional. So if you already familiar with the above, i mean business then it is better to go with that. So that it is very helpful to make you comfort in that.

All the best

Regards,

Simbhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

The answer to your question is going to be highly dependent on your local economic situation. The best thing to do is to look for companies in your local area which are already running SAP and see what openings they have.

I wrote a blog on finding an entry level job at a company running SAP once, but I can't find it, so I'll have to write it again or find it and publish it. In a nutshell:

1) Find out what companies have headquarters in your area (google/wikipedia search)

2) Find out which companies run SAP

• Search their career boards
  • Search national job search sites (Monster or Dice.com in the US, for example)
  • Search SAP User Group web sites

3) Cross reference the lists from 1) and 2).

4) Once you have a list of target companies, narrow it down by whatever criteria you prefer (geographic location, company reputation, places where you have contacts, whatever).

5) Check the corporate website for a careers section. Pay special attention to intern, recent college graduate, and or entry level sections of their corporate website.

6) Apply, apply, then apply some more!

• Create a tailored resume for EACH opening. Don't just blast a generic resume.
  • Include a cover letter that mentions something you like about their company that you've learned from your research. You want to communicate that you are interested in specifically working for THEIR company and that you've done your homework. This will distinguish you from MANY other applicants.
  • Utilize any network you have, friends, family, friends of friends, whatever to find folks who already work at the company. Arrange a meeting with someone who works at the company. Have lunch, find out everything you can even if the person you are meeting has no hiring authority, they may be able to provide you with insight into what this company is like and may also be able to provide you with contacts who do have hiring authority.

7) When you get an interview, be prepared!

• Dress for success! You don't have to overdo it necessarily, but you should dress as if you already have the job or maybe a little better. If general daily business attire is business casual, show up with a tie.
  • Do your homework! You should know what the company does and where they fit in the marketplace. Have questions ready that are relevant to the company and to the opening.
  • Do NOT focus on benefits and/or salary in the interview. You can ask those questions after you get an offer. Be ready with a number if they ask you what you're expecting, but don't initiate any conversations along this line.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started. I wish you all the best on your job search!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your response and for all others who have provided useful comments on my concern. I have been researching the key points you mentioned above.

But according to some who have commented in this thread, they emphasized on educational background and domain experience as a key factor to these modules.

Taking into consideration that I have little or no business background except my secondary schools days business studies that I took as a subject.

Question:

1. Must I have a deep
business background to be able to take any of MM, SD, SCM or logistics?

2. Do I need to take/start a business course before I can start any of these modules?

Here is little about my background:

I have an MSc degree in Environmental Science but, I have not got a job in that field since I graduated. It is difficult to get job in that field here, most especially because of the present economic situation in Europe.

I am presently unemployed and I am in dire need of a job. The job I had last was with Federal Express corporation (Fedex) as a ramp handler. The job involves loading packages on and off aircraft quickly and safely, sorting packages, scanning packages with a hand-held scanner, physically locating packages that are wrongly-sorted to a different location and re-directing them to right destination by checking the package status in IBM Information Management System (IMS), and occasionally writing daily inbound report.

Thanks once again as I look forward to reading from you soon.

George.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Choosing the module depends on your education/Domain Experience. If you have exposed to business then please choose the appropriate module in SAP.

To be a Functional consult in SAP you need to understnad the business process.

Best Regards,

Rakesh G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

seems like you have already queried about it in SCN.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3211985.

as Thomas said it all depends on the geographic location and the economic or market condition in that geographic location.

as i said go with CRM.

Thanks & Regards

chaayehhtan
Participant
0 Kudos

i think this depends on your interest and education backgroup

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

none of them...

ABAP forever!

0 Kudos

Hi George,

As Mr.PPIO Said,

Its ABAP(long lasting)

0 Kudos

It looks you are a core ABAPer

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello George,

If you are from Technical side, then ABAP will be best for you.

While on Functional side, entry level jobs are generally available in SAP SD / MM / FICO modules.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its all about business, All modules have their own importance.

If you are technical then ABAP is a easy entry, If you are interested in functional then choose any of the Core modules (MM,SD,FI PP, PM, HR), will not suggest you CRM,SRM, SCM etc.

former_member211556
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess the question is which module has more openings to start as a SAP end user. If this is your question, then all the ones you mentioned have good chance but suggest the following as well.

As far as SD is concerned, a SAP end user wouldnt be anyone other than the order entering guy at a sales office and not the guys on the field. So openings for SAP SD end user would be bit less. Same would go for CRM as well.

Where as in any concern, there would be more number of purchasing guys when compared to the order entry guy and each purchasing guy would be responsible for keying in his purchase order. Incase of sales this is not the case.

So my suggestion would be look for options in MM, SCM or Logistics provided you have some prior experience or education on those mentioned.

Hope the above gives you some insight. wishing you all the best!!!

0 Kudos

Hi Vasanth,

You said this "So my suggestion would be look for options in MM, SCM or Logistics provided you have some prior experience or education on those mentioned"

Here is little about my background:

I have an MSc degree in Environmental Science but, I have not got a job in that field since I graduated. It is difficult to get job in that field here, most especially because of the present economic situation in Europe.

I am presently unemployed and I am in dire need of a job. The job I had last was with Federal Express corporation (Fedex) as a ramp handler. The job involves loading packages on and off aircraft quickly and safely, sorting packages, scanning packages with a hand-held scanner, physically locating packages that are wrongly-sorted to a different location and re-directing them to right destination by checking the package status in IBM Information Management System (IMS), and occasionally writing daily inbound report.

Taking into consideration that I have little or no business background except my secondary schools days business studies that I took as a subject. Can I still take any of these modules that I have interest in?

Question:

1. Must I have a deep
business background to be able to take any of MM, SD, SCM or logistics?

2. Do I need to take/start a business course before I can start any of these modules?

Thanks once again as I look forward to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos

If you enjoyed working at FedEX, then the closest field would be Transportation Managment which I believe is most closely related to Materials Management.

SAP Transportation Management

• Optimize assignment and tendering of shipments to carriers
  • Reduce costs by consolidating orders and optimizing shipments from centralized locations or distributed units
  • Calculate and settle freight and shipments costs with greater accuracy
  • Improve regulation compliance with reliable access to denied-party and embargo lists for international shipping

You can make the case that your experience at FedEx relates to SAP Transportation Management in your interview, but just realize that the best way to find a new job is to look for one that relates to your old job, so you're going to be looking for jobs in the shipping/receiving department, not in IT at first. Only after you get hired do you have a shot at migrating towards the support side. If I haven't recommended it already, have a look at Advice for Recent College Graduates (aka "Freshers").

You may also find information that might help you at SAP Career Blog Links.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI George,

If your looking for a career in SAP ,first try to have background check on the module which you would like to try in first, Once you seem comfortable with the module. You can gain lot of knowledge as a result you can get where ever you want to the job. First is knowledge of  the subject.

Now try to find the module which suits you well , as keeping your Education stream in mind.

you can go with basic Functional modules  like MM, SD, FI Co  etc.

or you can go with Cross functional modules like CRM, SCM, HCM, PPM/PLM .

just try to find any training center or online training sites who will give you enough knowledge of the module to make you ready for job.

a simple piece of advise . Whatever module you choose in SAP you will always have a future in it because SAP in one of its kind and there is no any counterpart for this technology who can give a competition in depth as SAP have.

Hope this info have been helpful and All the Best.

Please Do close the thread if your question has been satisfactorily answered.

Thank You & Regards.

Ron

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

Is it essential to have the knowledge of ABAP reason why I am asking just a functional guy having little bit of knowledge of ABAP.

Do the companies require a Techno funtional consultant.

0 Kudos

Hi John,

Please Post You Question in New Thread.

Thank You

Ron

Former Member
0 Kudos

right now market is more supply (SAP consultants) than demand (jobs)

so its better to be cautious before taking a long term step into SAP

though there is always a requirement for highly skilled sap consultants

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to start my career with SAP.  I am computer engineer with 1 yr of experience in Web development actually  i don't like coding. But now i want get into  SAP functional module like MM. I don't have any relevant experience in any of SAP module. Am i eligible for SAP  MM functional module?

Regards,

Pradeep

0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Am I eligible for SAP  MM functional module?

Yes, you still have an opportunity to be an SAP Material Management (MM) consultant. Event you don't have a career experience or knowledge in SAP.  The position that you might start is as a Junior SAP consultant. Try to find a company or industry that hired a consultant as an entry-level. This will help you to achieve your dream as a SAP consultant.

Regards,

Yosef CR