cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to SAP PI 7.31

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

we are still using SAP PI 7.0 and now want to upgrade to 7.31.

After reading many papers, i still have some questions:

1. Is it right, that BPM/Orchestration is only available in a java single stack and it isn't available in a dual stack?
    1. If yes: Do we need to consider something?
    2. If no: Where are the differences?
  2. What about the upcoming releases? Will there be in the future only a java stack left? Is ABAP dying? What is SAPs plan?

Thanks for answers!

Best Regards
Robert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>What about the upcoming releases? Will there be in the future only a java stack left? Is ABAP dying? What is SAPs plan?

as per latest info ABAP stack on PI is not dying within the next few years as still ccBPMs have to be supported but more effort will be put into the JAVA stack (end eclipse)

>>>Is it right, that BPM/Orchestration is only available in a java single stack and it isn't available in a dual stack?

please read this one from William:

http://scn.sap.com/community/process-orchestration/blog/2012/05/31/download-and-installation-of-proc...

quote: "

It has been said many time that Process Orchestration (PO), which bundles PI, BPM and BRM functionality together, can be installed as a single SID.  This is true only for the java-only installation of AEX.  With a dual-stack PI installation, BPM/BPM will still have to be installed on a separate JEE server."

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

that you for your answer. I understand the following:

If we want to be future-oriented, we change our ccBPM-Scenarios to the "new" 7.31-BPM in java?

And the other question? Is it possible to use the old ccBPM and the new 7.31-BPM parallel?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>If we want to be future-oriented, we change our ccBPM-Scenarios to the "new" 7.31-BPM in java?

yes or just remove the ccBPMS at all with simple flows

>>>And the other question? Is it possible to use the old ccBPM and the new 7.31-BPM parallel?

yes but keep this in mind "With a dual-stack PI installation, BPM/BPM will still have to be installed on a separate JEE server." from Bill's blog so it will not be a single SID and due to that there might be some restrictions,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you prefer today? Java only or Dual?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as per SAP - dual

there is no need to use ABAP stack in dual if you don't have any ccBPM

but the full functionality scope is supported + we have better monitoring

so dual is the way to go

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, now i'm confused. What do you think is the best way for us?

At the moment we have many ccBPM, but we would like to use the future-oriented technology. We would like to know, what is the best way..

dualstack with ccBPM or singlestack with change from ccBPM to BPMN?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

dual stack with ccBPM and build new interfaces on BPM if necessary

in the mean time if you have some time start the migration of old to BPM but without the need to hurry (which would happen with a single stack only approach)

I'm more into soft approaches then - migrate everything jsut for the fact that we need to use something else without any business need

is that clearer now ?

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

nageshwar_reddy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I am not complete agreement with your point on dual stack. - Do you mean for John's scenario dual is the best?

as per SAP - dual

In the recent past most of the literature from SAP folks is pointing to start using single stack. Very recently, I have received a recommendation from SAP that if somebody is starting fresh, they should go with single stack.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thast means, that we have both? one dual stack for our old ccBPM and one java only for the new BPMN?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>Thast means, that we have both? one dual stack for our old ccBPM and one java only for the new BPMN

no dual stack has both ccBPM and BPM so you have one PI with both stacks and BPM

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, because you wrote the following quote:

"With a dual-stack PI installation, BPM/BPM will still have to be installed on a separate JEE server.""

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>"With a dual-stack PI installation, BPM/BPM will still have to be installed on a separate JEE server.""

as per Bill's blog this is required - but it still means that we can use ccBPM/BPM on dual stack

please read the article I'm quoting too one more time ok ?

there's only a difference in installation time - that's it

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

nageshwar_reddy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Folks (Michal and John),

BPM on dual stack PI system is not yet supported by SAP as of PI 7.31. Refer to blog at . I quote the following from the blog:

It has been said many time that Process Orchestration (PO), which bundles PI, BPM and BRM functionality together, can be installed as a single SID.  This is true only for the java-only installation of AEX. 

So, you should have two separate SID's if you are going with dual stack....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nageshwar_reddy
Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a similar situation wrt ccBPM. To go with ccBPM or to use NW BPM is the question. The main advantage with NW BPM is that if you want to introduce human related activities, NW BPM supports that. Other major difference is NW BPM is BPMN based which is widely used in SAP landscape compared to BPEL used by ccBPM. I am pushing forward with NW BPM in PO 7.31.

Wrt features of PO 7.31, i believe all the integration capabilities provided by dual stack are also provided by single stack. If you have lot of ABAP maps and many ccBPMs, then you need to consider the effort involved. Do you want to spend time now or do another costly upgrade 5-8 years down the line?

My only concern would be whether java only stack is robust enough to be compared with the mature and stable dual stack...

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

@2: I don't really think this will happen in the nearest future. In my opinion, it's just like PI gives you an alternative. If you can live with the limited functionality (no BPM, no ABAP mappings, no SXI_MONITOR and so on), then you can use single stack that will give you better performance in return, just like AAE scenarios in PI 7.1. If you prefer the broader functionality, you can still install the full dual stack. Also, I think you don't have to worry that your ABAP skills will become unnecessary anytime soon .

Regards,

Greg

EDIT: Mike, you did that again! 🙂