Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of ECC system connecting 2 different PI boxes

former_member192892
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Currently we have SAP R/3 4.7 ERP connected to XI 3.0 with some proxy interfaces. We would like to upgrade the SAP R/3 4.7 to ECC 6.0 and upgrade XI  to PI 7.3 dual stack(including the proxy interfaces). We are planning for a phase based approach here for XI upgrade. Since it is a phased based approach, at sometime can we have ECC 6.0 connected to 2 PI Instances (XI 3.0 and PI 7.3) at the same time to send data parallelly in production environment? I'm aware of the below link, but this is I guess valid only for PI 7.1 and above.

http://scn.sap.com/people/sandro.garofano2/blog/2009/09/02/connect-sap-application-system-to-multipl...

I would like to know, if its possible to connect 3.0 and 7.3 at the same time from ECC.

Regards

Varun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Though ECC 6.0 can be communicated individually with XI 3.0, when it comes for production to handle parallely two PI versions (one very old) and other latest might cause some impacts in the areas like mapping, java versions etc.  You might want to try this same landscape in test and see whether you have impacts and then try it in production.

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Baskar,

Could you please elaborate more on this. How does ECC version influence the success of PI mappings? If ECC is able to correctly distribute the traffic over two PI systems, why would they experience problems in mapping?

Regards,

Greg

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>Could you please elaborate more on this

I did not meant ECC influence on PI. I said within PI of two different versions (very old and new). Just assume we use java mapping for a simple proxy to file interface. Do you think the same java mapping code can be utiilzed for both XI 3.0 and 7.3.  We know the difference in usage between extending classes and methods between 3.0 and 7.1.  I basically said the differences in mappings, graphical lookups, such as jdbc, RFC, funcion libraries that are not available in PI old version and available in new would certainly cause some impacts.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>. Do you think the same java mapping code can be utiilzed for both XI 3.0 and 7.3

java mappings from 3.0 can be used in 7.3 without any problems

to be honest I don't understand how using 2 PIs (two separate servers can cause troubles in mappings, proxies) but I guess we can leave this issue out as it has nothing to do with the question asked,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

Clarification is always right!!!. Basically,  I wanted to convey that due to different versions (that too in prod) we might have to maintain different codes(compiled classes) for instance in java mappings and different configuration for jdbc drivers (seperately for 32 bit (3.0) and 64 bit 7.3) this might even impact db servers versions onthe backend too) etc like that. So, I mentioned that this could be impact but not on troubles/stoppers in mappings.

Example: some simple changes in extend classes and methods as suggested by this link

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/Using+PI+7.1+API+for+Java+mapping

My intension is to learn every day from this Master

Regards

Baskar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I did a similar POC recently in my project and the results indicate that we can connect multiple PI systems in parallel. ( for all XI versions 3.0, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.3 ) provided SAP application system is at least 7.00 SP13. But please remember one interface can only point to one PI system, since SXBM_ADM entries decide to which PI system the message should go. This statement is valid even if you have more than one entry for a given interface in SXMB_ADM pointing to at least one PI system. The first entry PI system will be picked in this case.

however i am surprised with your statement

>>Currently we have SAP R/3 4.7 ERP connected to XI 3.0 with some proxy interfaces.

Does R/3 4.7 ERP support proxy communication?

- Praveen

Message was edited by: Praveen Gujjeti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

If we do the configuration to connect multiple PI system for sproxy, where and how I can see both PI  ESR content in ECC.

Thanks

Shivanjali

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivanjali,

From proxy framework setup point of view ECC system can only be connected to only one PI system, meaning only one PI ESR meta data in ECC sproxy. But from interface point of view ECC system can connect to multiple PI systems via SXMB_ADMIN/ADM configuration.

Regards,

Praveen Gujjeti

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure why it is complicated. if you are doing phased migration it is a normal practice if you want to switch interfaces one by one instead big bang.

Answer is yes. But only the thing is complicated is if you want to same interfaces being connected same time and send data same time to two PI instances. In that case you might have to replicate the code and point to two  PI instances.

-Kishore

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>> In that case you might have to replicate the code and point to two  PI instances.

Does not work. Please check my reply to Varun.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as per the link you've mentioned quote:

"SAP XI 3.0, SAP PI 7.0 or SAP PI 7.1" so it's also valid for 3.0

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk