cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS update not possible via https

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I've got a problem updating my freshly installed NWDS 7.11 SP09. The problem is already described here without answer: http://scn.sap.com/message/13414310

I found that it seems to be a problem accessing a https resource. I tried to configure the proxy to be used for http and https (Configuration - General - Network Connection), but no luck. The ping in the configuration of the NWDS Update Policy leads to the same error. I also tried to define "proxy" as hostname for the proxies as suggested in another thread. I still get the "premature end of file" error when starting the update manager. Even if I open the policy.xml file via File- Open File, it can't find the xml! In my web browser it works perfectly though!

I add the screenshots below as evidence

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Philippe,

Apparently the issue is with using SSL. On NWDS 7.11 I was able to fix it as follows:

1/ download the SSL certificate from https://nwds.sap.com

in Chrome I exported it as "DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)"

to C:\TEMP\nwds.sap.com.cer

2/ create a new keystore using the good old command prompt:

C:\DATA\bin\sapjvm_5\bin\keytool -import -alias nwds.sap.com -file C:\TEMP\nwds.sap.com.cer -keystore C:\DATA\workspaces\nwds-7.11\workspace\.keystore

3/ point NWDS to the keystore by adding the following 2 lines at the end of SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=C:/DATA/workspaces/nwds-7.11/workspace/.keystore

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=mypassword

Now NWDS prompts for a uid/pwd when accessing the update site. My updates are running now 😉

update: after the installation/updates please check Note 1566977 - NWDS on Windows 7

Another update concerning NWDS 7.31: in the file SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini I also had to remove the following 2 lines:

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreProvider=SunMSCAPI

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT

[I'll probably add them again after the update]

Kind regards,

/Sigiswald

Message was edited by: Sigiswald Madou

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sigiswald for the detailed input! Seems to be a good solution to add the certificate. Although, in our case using JVM 1.6 instead of 1.5 somehow did it as well. I close the thread herewith.

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. It did not work with sapjvm5 but with sun jdk 1.5. Thanks anyway for pointing me to this issue.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

PeWe
Newcomer
0 Kudos

Was this solved? I have exactly the same problem, and I've tried on network with proxy, and a direct connection to Internet, with no luck. Strange thing is that this worked fine (with proxy) in end of July, now it does not work on any computer or network I try on.

Rgds

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Below is the answer I just got from SAP today.

Hm... doesn't seem to be much of a help given the fact that I played around with the proxy settings a lot already. I will try it again with the hints SAP gave but I don't have time and urgency now, so somebody of you might want to try that.

---

If you are able to download NWDS directly from the NWDS updatesite,

but you cannot update it through:

In NWDS-> Help-> Software Updates-> Find and Install,

then your proxy configurations are not correct.

Just like you, we are getting the same error

when we start installation of the IDE

or when we are trying to update it.

But when we configured the proxy settings of NWDS, everything went fine.This was necessary because of our organization's network setup.

Even though you can access the update site from your browser,

the NWDS has separate network configuration settings.

The three options from NWDS side are:

- Use the system configuration (if available)

- Direct connection, without using a proxy

- Manual setup of proxy settings

If your organization does not require you to use a proxy,

then this must be reflected by selecting the Direct Connection option.

If your organization's network requires you to use a proxy,

you need to maintain the settings accordingly:

- Your organization's HTTP proxy and its port

- Your organization's HTTPS/SSL proxy and its port

You already know that this can be done in

Window->Preferences->General->Network Connections,

where you need "Manual proxy configuration"

You should be able to get the information about the proxies

from your system configuration or your IT department.

Here are some admissions you can follow up on:

- you may have different proxies for HTTP and SSL with different ports

- try entering their fully qualified domain names or their IP addresses

- you can also check your organization proxy's configurations if there

is still an issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I just heard that this problem seems to be related to the JVM version. Try to install 1.6 and make sure to launch NWDS with it. I am still on 1.5 because I need it to compile my code. However, the JVM to run NWDS doesn't need to be the same that is used to compile the code. I couldnt' try it out yet, but I'm confident this ist the solution!

Philippe

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Open an OSS under XX-SER-SWFL-ESD and ask SAP to package NWDS 7.11 SP09 with a self contained local update site. This will allow you to install NWDS without the need to contact the SAP server. I did this for NWDS 7.10, but should be also possible for 7.11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

Thanks for the tip. Will do that.

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philippe,

I am facing the same issue reported in the thread. Did you get the solution for this?

Please provide if you have any info on this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Senthil Kumar S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The support replied with the same hint as a given by Ervin in the other thread posted above... But that doesn't work. So no solution yet 😞

I suspect that SAP changed something on their servers. My colleagues are facing the same problem. I wonder why SAP is still not aware of that issue and officially provides a solution. I assume that still many people are using NWDS 7.1 or 7.11.

I will keep this thread updated once I get another reply to my opened OSS note.

Philippe

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Philippe,

Did SAP package a "self contained" version of NWDS for you?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Philippe,

I am getting the same trouble reported in the thread.

Please, keep us updated.

Tks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Now I am able to connect by following the below steps,

1. Get your proxy details by executing the command <nslookup eswebproxy00>in the command prompt.

2. This will give you the abc.<domain>.com.

Enter this in the NWDS Network Connections

HTTP Proxy : abc.domain.com ; Port : 8080

Enable the check box Use this Proxy for SSL

In add host, enter your domain name.

<domain>.com

Now if you connect the update site, it will ask for S-User id and Password. Provide the credential.

Then it will connect to the NWDS update site.

Please let me know if it works.

Regards,

Senthil Kumar S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Senthil,

I don´t have any proxy in my network.  I am directly connected to the Internet and I have access to the policy URL via web browser.

This way I got a message: “Premature end of file” before it ask me a S-USER.

All the solutions that I have found all the people used with proxy settings.

Is it mandatory?

Tks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rafaei,

Yes, the proxy is mandatory as experienced.

Try to add HTTPProxy : proxy ; port: 8080 in the manual proxy config. Add your domain in the add host.

Check if it works.

I would recommend you to check with your Network Team if there is any proxy in your network.

Regards,

Senthil Kumar S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

No, they didn't do that although requested....

Instead, see the answer I just posted below.

Phil

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Philippe,

Can you post a screenshot of your proxy settings? Check out the Note 1229080 for NWDS update.

Can you open the policy.xml file when you put the policy URL directly into your browser?

Regards,

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dao,

Thanks for your answer! 

Yes, I'm able to load the policy.xml in the browser. However, it doesn't ask for a S-user (anymore) (Cookies?)

If I try to open the file directly in NWDS (for testing), I get a file not found error (File - Open File)!

If I configure a dummy proxy as suggested in this thread: http://scn.sap.com/thread/1829917 (My proxy configuration looks exactly like the one shown in the thread). The result is the following when running the update:

If I use my company's proxy, I get the same error as without proxy:

Any ideas? Could you check if you encounter the same problem? It worked around a month ago when I installed NWDS. Now it doesn't anymore. The really strange thing is that I installed a fresh NWDS on another PC (Win XP as opposed to my Vista) (which had no NWDS installed before) and there I get the same errors!

By the way: I was trying with NWDS CE 7.1 SP14 as well as NWDS 7.11 SP09, same problem.

Philippe

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Philippe,

The error showed that you're trying to access the file ../ce/710/policy.xml which is no longer there.

Please check with your network admin to see if there's any proxy required for your internet connection (which should be entered in the HTTP proxy) and add the SSL proxy as Ervin showed in the thread. Also, please check the .log file to see if there are others clues.

Unfortunately, I don't have any CE version available for testing.

Hope it helps.

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dao,

But I am able to access ../ce/710/policy.xml  via web browser. You say it's no longer there, really?

I tried the update also with a freshly installed NWDS 7.11 SP09 and with the suggested settings of the proxy (our company's proxy for HTTP and the dummy entry "proxy"/80 for https. Same error (path points to /nw/711/policy.xml as you can see):

Philippe

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Philippe,

That's strange. When I tried to load the file ../ce/710/policy.xml in my browser, I got error 404-Page not found. I have no problem loading the file ../nw/711/policy.xml (no S-user asked).

Are you able to spot something in the .log file? Do you have another workstation (PC/laptop) to try (to see if it's really the company's internet connection/proxy or it's something to do with browser's settings, NWDS' preferences or it might as well be a problem at SAP's end :-)?

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

The logfile provides no more information than the error message.

Yes, I was even able to load the ce/710/policy.xml at home on another workstation and without proxy in the network.

I will probably open an OSS note.

Thanks for your help so far.