Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound idoc for updating outbound delivery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to know the following.

1) There are many  standard function modules avaibale in SAP. For eg "Idoc_input_desadv1" .  I know that this creates an inbound delivery. But how do a person  who is working for the first time in idocs know about the functionality of idocs Function modules  (inbound and outbound )? We do not want to use google !!

2) We have created an outbound delivery and we have sent the delivery outbound  DESADV idoc to logistics provider. When the goods are ready for dispatch, the logistcis provider needs to send an inbound idoc with truck no, no of pallets, shipping date from warehouse, arrival date at port of shipment and we want this information to be stored in  header texts in outbound delivery.  my questions are as follows :-

2a) Which standard idoc message type to use . i think it should be DESADV. But which standard Function module to use  to update the above information in outbound delivery ?

2b) for updating texts in outbound delivery, sdo we need to  code in the user exit of the FM ?

3) I have seen sometimes that with standard idoc message types, sometimes Z Function modules are used and not standard ones.  why this is so ?  we can enhance the idoc with Z segments rather and use the standard FM rather than using a new Z FM ?

regards

Pamela.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member1115366
Active Participant

1.  Personally I find Google to be a great resource.  But to each his own.  The best documentation I have seen for IDoc function modules is Arvind Nagpal’s book “ALE, EDI, & IDoc Technologies for SAP”  Search Amazon and you will find a wealth of resources.

2a.  Try process code DELS (Delivery advice (DESADV with DELVRY01)) or process code DESA (Delivery advice (DESADV with DELVRY01)). 

2b.  I cannot speak from experience on updating texts in the delivery note from an inbound IDoc.  Easy enough to test it.  If it does not work, then examine the process code for available user exits to force the issue.

3.  You can add Z segments to an IDoc, but the standard process code will ignore them unless you invoke a user exit.

Regards,

Ken

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what's wrong with using Google. For example, search for 'IDoc update text delivery' brings up dozens of existing posts on SCN. There are many IDoc questions already answered on SDN. I think we used SHPCON once to update pick quantity on outbound deliveries, but I've never had to update texts.

Since this is an SD, not an ABAP forum, I'm not sure you should be concerned about the function modules. Standard FMs work just fine and there are user exits available, as correctly stated by Ken.

Most of the IDoc work involves some trial and error. By the IDoc name it's usually quite clear what it might do in general. Than you can look at the IDoc documentation in WE60, the technical field names usually match with their counterparts in the document. Then just configure what you believe might work and give it a try, say, using WE19. That's how I learned mostly. You don't really need any in-depth knowledge.

The book mentioned by Ken is the best resource. There is also 'IDoc Cookbook', which you could find on Google.