cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scope of Transaction and Local properties

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me the scope of the transaction and the local properties?

Where can we set these properties, where can we access them, where will they be alive?

There is a transaction where we are having a local boolean property that is used to check if an employee is logged in or not.

That value is statically set as false and i dint find it being modified anywhere else in the transaction.

As far as i know the scope of a local property is local to the transaction and we can't set it anywhere else.

So how is that giving correct results everytime without its value being changed as true once user is logged in?

Is there any other place where its value could be changed?

Regards,

Sowjanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowjanya,

Transaction Properties

Transaction properties are variables that can be inputs or outputs to a transaction. Transaction properties are user-defined for each transaction.

To define transaction properties, on the SAP MII Workbench screen, choose    Transaction  Transaction Properties.

Local Properties

Local properties are variables that are private to the transaction. They act as storage devices for the sequences in a transaction. Local properties can be seen by other sequences in the transaction, but they cannot be seen outside of the transaction. For example, a scratch variable needed to perform multistep calculations is a local property. Local properties are user-defined for each transaction.

To define local properties when you are working with a transaction on the SAP MII Workbench screen, choose    Transaction  Local Properties.

The above definitions are given in a SAP Help document. We can pass values from Xacute query to our BLS transaction by using Transaction properties and Local properties are used within transactions. We can change Local properties by using Assignment action block.

I hope you asked about Transaction and Local properties in BLS transaction 🙂

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I was asking about the properties in BLS Aravinth.

I went through the above help documentation but i was looking for more info on these properties.

As mentioned above the local property is not being changed anywhere even in an assignment block. The same false value is being used everytime for validations. How would it give correct answers then?

So i wanted to know if was being reset somewhere else.

Regards,

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sowjanya,

If you assign some value to a Local property using assignment block, value of Local property will change. But in your case, from where you are passing value to Local property? Check weather value of your source is changing or not. If your source value is changing then value of Local property should also change.

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are not assigning value from the assignment block.

At the time of creating the local property itself we are defaulting it to false.

Regards,

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you given default value to your Local property, then it will not change until you assign a new value to your Local property during run-time. So, only default value will be there through out your transaction.

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is exactly my doubt..

Every validation is taking place based on the value of that property. yet it appears to be static.

I want to know if there is any scope for that property to be set anywhere else..like in an Xacute query or if it can be passed from the front end UI?

Regards,

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can do. Try using Transaction property, so that you can pass your value from Xacute query to your transaction.

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the same possible with a local property?

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I don't think so.

If it is possible through Transaction property, then you cant you use that? Is there any specific reason for you to use only Local property?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our application is already in place and we are just supporting it.

They have used local property to do that and i am not able to figure out where that value is being changed..

Regards,

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are ready to pass the value from Xacute query to transaction, then you can create one Trancation variable and replace your local variable with Trancation variable in BLS. I think it will not take much effort.

Or you create a Transaction variable and add one assignment action block in starting sequence of your Transaction and assign your Transaction variable value to your Local variable.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the PDF actions are installed you could use the Generate Documentation option found under the Transaction menu option in the Workbench.  The resulting PDF will be searchable, and look for the name of your Local property.  This should help you find link assignments impacting the property, and depending upon the size of the transaction will save you a lot of time looking through someone else's logic.

The newer versions of MII have a dockable link editor that can be 'pulled up' from the bottom of the transaction panel and then selecting the actions with either an UP or DN arrow should show in the docked panel.  This will save you lots of right clicking too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aravinth- We cant touch the code. I am just trying to understand where the local property is being set and modified.

Jeremy- Thanks for that wonderful tip! But unfortunately the 'Generate Documentation' option is disabled.

Regards,

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

PDF actions are deployed in your system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont know much about the PDF actions but since the generate documentation option is disabled i assume they arent deployed..

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you open your transaction in work bench, you can find PDF actions in a list. Refer the below pic

If you cant find the PDF, then you need to deploy PDF actions. To do the same refer the below threads.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3154627

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2131960

http://scn.sap.com/thread/602636

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3177019

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that info! The PDF actions arent deployed in my system then.

I have a doubt regarding the transaction properties:

In our MII system we are setting the transaction property by passing the value to the Xacute query from the front end UI (we used Flash).

If multiple instances of the front end are running and all the instances are passing values back to the MII, then how do the values sent by all these istance affect the transaction property?

For example, we have a transaction property number whose value is set as 1 by one front end instance. Simultaneously if some ther instance is running and passes the value as 2, then will that interfere with this transaction property number and set is as 2 ? Is that possible??

Sowjanya

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

No problem in that. If you are passing those values(two different inputs) in runtime for the same transaction, then the transaction will behave for the corresponding inputs.

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, so you mean to say that MII supports the concept of multi threading right?

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

yes, we can execute a single transaction with different inputs (during run-time) simultaneously.

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks Aravinth!

aravinth_anandhan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sowjanya,

Please close this thread if answered

Regards,

Aravinth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well my original question still remains

I still couldnt figure out how that static local property is giving correct results in validation!

Thanks for your time Aravinth

Regards,

Sowjanya

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sowjanya,

The local property has a default value, but is not static by nature.  The value contained in a Local property is only updated from within the home transaction.  Think of it as a private property for java or javascript.

Regards, Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Private = Local

Public = Transaction

Global = Global

Not an exact equivalent but it works as a pretty good comparison.

Regards, Mike

Answers (0)