Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create variants for second-level configurable material

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

My client has mult-level configurable materials..Second configurable material is procured from outside and they want to have some stable configure for this second-level configurable material...(like a variant for a finished configurable product)..

I think it should be possible in standard SAP,but my test result is not..Do you think it is possible to have variants for second-level configurable material?If yes,pls tell me what should I note during the configuration...thanks...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monst,

I am a bit confused on your description. I believe you want variant as a component. So you have the

Headerconfigurable  Material and then component as variant. If you want this component , to be exploded further then you can use that flag I mentioned earlier (Note 456510), However if the component is procured externally , then I would imagine you dont need to explode the variant as it will be bought as finished product. In that case you simply need to create a BOM as you would and just use variant as component. You can configure the variant in material master. When you then configure the header, values for components will be filled in automatically.

Please let me know if I have missunderstood your query.

Thanks

Amber

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Amber:

Yes,you are correct.That's what I expected...As you mentioned,I create a variant for the component.But this variant doesn't replace the configurable component in CU50 or VA01..Do you mean I have to put this variant component into the BOM of Headerconfigurable material?I will try to put the variant component into BOM and let you know the result..thanks..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monst,

You need to put the configurable material of the variant if you want to do the variant matching. If you simply want the variant then you can also have the variant in the component. The way variant matching works is, you assign values in material master for the variant. and in the sales order you then enter the value to match that variant, If it does match the variant then configurable material gets replaced. If you want it that way , then you will need to enter the configurable material. Please make sure you have all the settings maintained per note  900732 for variant matching. However if you do not want the values to be compared and simply have a variant then you can simply add the variant as a component.

Hope that helps

Amber

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Monst,

there are too many requirements and thats why there is confusion.

lets discuss one by one.

1) Create multilevel Varient out of a configurable material which have a configurable material inside its BOM , it will be addressed by  Note 456510 - Material variant in multi-level configuration.

please confirm if you set all things properly and if it start working for you.

2) Now when you will create a sales order with configurable material and assign exactly same characterstic values you used while creating a varient mention in point one system will propose propose it as a result of type matching, provided you have done all settings required from sales side , including item catagory.

additional checks

• Please check  the relevant Item Category (ex TAC) and made sure that Variant Matching is ticked and the action when a variant is found is set to 4, automatically replace when updating and changing.
  • Also  the relevant requirements class (ex 46) and made sure that it has Configuration Required.
  • Also check  transaction MDPV (Type matching) and ticked all of the characteristics of the configurable material as "Optional" instead of "Not relevant" for type matching.

now please check and reply with your findings.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Retesh:

I already create a multi-level configurable material.and it works as expected...

But in terms of the second level:Z_W_103,I create a variant Z_W_103_S,which has the same configure as the characteristics values in above screenshot.After creating sales order and running MRP agasint Z_1000_DB,I don't see z_w_103 generated ..

Item Cat. is TAC for both levels and it is exactly the same as your propose.MDPV is optional ...

Any other things need to be checked?thanks..

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Monst Yang,

i didnt understand what you are trying by creating sales order and then running MRP? how material Varient comes into picture.

If you have created a material varient of configurable material , it will replace your cnfigurable material in sales order while creating sales order, you dont need to wait till MRP run.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Ritesh:

I mean the second-level variant..In my above screenshot,Z_W_103 is a configurable material and it has a variant.After I configure the characteristics in header level,I expect Z_W_103 can be replaced by its variant...

Seems it doesn't work ..Not sure it is a bug again or it is not allowed in standard SAP..

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Monst Yang,

No it will not work this way, Material Varients are replaced in sales order and it will repalce a material for which sales order is being created , i havent come accross scenario where MV will replace a KMAT in side a BOM.

if you have a MV which could replace your second level KMAT , then it should have been present in BOM of first level KMAT , also you need to write selection conditions such that when this MV will be selected in that case your second level KMAT should not be selected otherwise it will be incorrect quantity for same material, ex. like 2 engines will be selected for a CAR.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks..Ritesh..

I will think about how to write this dependency..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Monst

I am keenly following this post and trying to figure out the business scenario behind to have second level of configurable material. Would you like to share the need?

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Kapil:

Our client has some materials  that are procured from vendor and they have 8 characteristics to configure these materials.It's not reasonable to have some variant for it..that's why we create it as a KMAT again..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Monst,

I face a problem with exploding second level configurable material (Variant), when the first level exploding and go to result we do not found the second level only the first level.

kindly advice.

Regards

Ahmed Rouby

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahmed Rouby,

Please open a new thread providing details of issue and we may try to help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Ahmed:

You can follow Ritesh's previous suggestion..As tested,second level variant wouldn't be selected..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

i come cross same issue tody. i try to config the KMAT component in the header KMAT in sale order set, i expect the KMAT component can be replaced by existing material variant, but it doesn't work.

i try create sales order and put the KMAT component as a salable material, the material variant replacement working fine.

looking forward to put the mateiral variant into the header KMAT material BOM, and put some dependencies there, see if ths way can help me out this trouble.

thanks for everyone whoc contribute your knowledge here. i learn from you.

thanks

Kent

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Possibilities:

1) create a material varients for 2nd level configurable materials and put them as components in BOM of 1st level configurable materials with valid selction condtion also see the note

Note 794941 - Explosion of material variant as a configurable assembly

Note 513288 - Material variant as a component in multi-level configuration

2) Create configuration structure so that while assigning values at first level , the correct lower level configurable material will be configured and there shouldnt be a need to assign values at second level sepratly. particularly suitable when you want to plan this MV as MTS and values setup in material master are capab;le enough to configure and explode BOM correctly till the end.

Note 456510 - Material variant in multi-level configuration

also check belwo composite note on material varients.

Note 774346 - Composite SAP Note: Material variants