Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration problem

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a MaxDB 7.6.06.10 database, i have to migrate to MaxDB 7.8.02.28. I have a brand new server to test the migration.

The machine where the 7.6 database is is Linux debian 64 bits (etch version). Before the 7.6 it was a 7.5 version...

The new machine is Linux debian 64 bits Squeeze 6.0.5 (the last version)

I read that i should :

• full backup 7.6
  • restore on a 7.7
  • full backup 7.7
  • restore on a 7.8

but... 7.7 catalog information is unicode, but not the 7.6. Before the restore to 7.7 work, i executed on the 7.6

db_offline

db_migratecatalog

that produce this

EasyBase:~# ./dbmcli -d master -u dba,***

./dbmcli on master>db_offline

OK

---

./dbmcli on master>db_migratecatalog

ERR

-24988,ERR_SQL: SQL error

-9206,System error: AK Duplicate catalog information:00000000000002D8000A0001

3,Database state: OFFLINE

---

ok...

i installed the 7.6 on the new machine, restored the database, installed the 7.7, then tried SDBUPD, that produces this :

MaxDB INSTANCE UPDATE

starting installation Su, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:14:17

operating system: Linux X86-64 2.6.32 5-amd64 GLIBC 2.11.3

callers working directory: /home/MasterBackup/maxdb-all-linux-64bit-x86_64-7_7_07_33

installer directory: /home/MasterBackup/maxdb-all-linux-64bit-x86_64-7_7_07_33

archive directory: /home/MasterBackup/maxdb-all-linux-64bit-x86_64-7_7_07_33

beginning to check sap db instances

existing instance:

0:  MASTER  "/opt/sdb/7606"  7.6.6.10

1:  none

please enter instance id: 0

please enter database manager operators name: dba

please enter database manager operators password:

start new instance update

finding instance type...

checking mmap support...

finding starting release...

finding migration strategy...

MaxDB instance "MASTER" not ready to update

finding migration strategy...

migration not allowed

from 7.6.6 Build  010-123-229-880 ASCII catalog

to   7.7.07

Upgrade to releases >= 7.7 with ASCII catalog not allowed. Please perform the unicode migration of the database catalog first.

MaxDB instance update exited abnormally at Su, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:14:24

ok...

after searching long time about the migration of the catalog to unicode, i executed :

check catalog with updates

and that corrected 33 inconsistancies !!!

ok...

i rested many time what i have done before, with the same result : not ok

i checked furthermore the datas, if eventually an inconsistancy could block the catalog migration process, but not consistancy problem about the datas.

i checked the datas parameters with the dbanalyzer_InstanceParameterCheck.cfg and applied what was suggested

i saw that the "db_migratecatalog" change temporarily the _PACKET_SIZE from the initial size i had 131040 to 131072 and then restored the value back, after the migration did not occur : i changed the packet size to 131072 and retried all what i have done before.

i allready tried the same operations onto a virtual machine (Oracle virtualbox with debian squeeze 64 bits), but nothing better.

I tried, with Database Studio, to transport the whole database from the production machine to the test machine (i installed the same version of MaxDb, the 7.7) but it blocks at the beginning during the catalog transfer !!!

i tried export from the production database, then import to the test database, it blocks too.

After all the things i read, i think i have some inconsistencies in the database catalog that blocks the whole process of migration.

Please what can i do to solve this problem ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

i will add just some more remarks :

* on the production system, any "check catalog" is yet ok : no others inconsistancies are seen by the 7.6 database

* i read that the 7.7 SDBUPD should do the migration catalog automomatically... (i thinks it tries but cause of error it stalls...)

the last thing i can try is :

create the whole production database from scratch (i have all the scripts) and trying to transport just the datas (not the catalog) directly from 7.6 to 7.8 database, if i can bypass the 7.7 database, it's better for me !!!

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

does any one have any idea ?