Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP production Restart Frequent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ex

We are running ERP ECC 6.0 with netweaver 7.0

Our production system is having database cluster, ASCS cluster and 4 application servers.

Cluster based on SUSE HA.

CI Cluster.

ci.png

DB Cluster

db.png

My Problem is " What is the frequent of the system restart? for whole system and component wise"

Is there any proper guide for production system restart frequent?

is it better to restart the DB cluster for every month?

My Cluster

Thanks

priyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Priyan,

What you are talking about is some sortof failover/switchovertesting thing. Well the testing can be planned on say any periodic basis of your choice.However restart as a practice isn't needed.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit.

Thank you very much for your comments. I personaly agree with you. But our team has taken a decission to restart the system for every 6 months. (I accidentally put as 1 month in my first post )

is there any proper guide? What has suggest SAP?

regards

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Priyan,

SAP as far I know doesn't really suggest anything. Anyways more than SAP you should consult your HA vendor. HA is  one area where the HA vendor has primacy over SAP.SAP itself would advise you to check with your HA vendor for HA related queries.

But other than there are lot of decisions that we can make based on our understanding and common sense.

If they are keen on restart every 6 months I don't see any issue unless it is not planned and executed well.

Regards.

Ruchit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, theres no guideliness written about this. A Well tuned SAP system could potentially run for months without the need of a restart.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

We can see some red points regarding swaps on the ST02.

And should we clear the swap/buffer for the system efficient by restarting the servers?

my st02 screen shot.

regards

priyan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even though excessive swapping can cause performance issues, SWAP's accumulating over a long period of time is not an issue. Looking at your screenshots I would say increase your export buffer a good bit maybe double it. Then you could increase your NTAB and table buffers 50% and see how it goes over time

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyan,

These swaps has nothing to do with restarting the server.

Actually when a program requires some object that are present in buffers , then it hits the database.

and these swaps goes red.

so these red swaps does not affect the performence untill hit ratio , free dir entries are fine .

And should we clear the swap/buffer for the system efficient by restarting the servers?

Restarting the server will lower the performence for first time as every hit in on database.

Instead of restarting , i would suggest to adjust the buffer parameter that too by SAP recomendation.

Cheers

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What can I do that issue.

Please provide me a proper procedure. Because I want to clarify all the things before doing the adjustmants.

thanks

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can double click on desired row with swaps. You see detailed info for this buffer. In that screen select Current parameters and correct them accordingly to your needs (increase or decrease)

Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First in ST02 , check whether Hit Ratio >95% for all buffers ,

then check % free dir. entries >15%

if that is Ok , then click on details analysis menu , and

check whether swap value increase is less than 1000 per day for all buffers and is less 10000 per day for program buffer.

n check for %roll area used and extended memory used ,

Regards

Deepak

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As such there is no frequency of system restart. If there is any planned activity then you can do the system restart otherwise there is no need to restart the system.

Thanks

Sunny