cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forecasting with short history or no historical values

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

we are currently implementing the DP for a startup company. the business was started 2 months ago. we have altogether 100 products and we would like to know how the forecasting could be used in a scenario where there is no historical data or very short historical data say in this case only for 2 months history..

could you please share your ideas...

Best Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shreeyath,

For your current situation, You can use

- Moving Average

- Weighted Moving Average

- Constant Model with 1st Order Exp Smoothing

- Linear Regression

Hope this helps,

Hari Vomkarey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

Thank you, but since i have only 2 months historical data, could i still use these models, i know that if the system does not find the adequate history(say continuously for 5-6months), it automatically chooses the constant model..is nt it?

what happens if i do the foreasting with weeks data i.e. i will split the history into weeks instead of months and do the forecasting..is this the correct approach..pls share ur ideas..

Best Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you could use these models with only 2 months of History,

Moving Average and Weighted moving Average should work without any errors. If you use weighted moving average (strategy 14),  try creating weighting profiles for 2 months in the Univariate forecast profile. If you get any errors, like -insufficient history..check and maintain  master forecast profiles with just 2 months as periods for History horizon. As you develop sufficient history, you can change this to 3 months, 4 months ,...so on.

Forecasting on weeks , technically will give you more history for forecasting. But this decision of using which planning levels (weekly/monthly) should driven by  business/planning  needs of your company than merely being able to get forecast numbers.

Hope this helps,

Hari