cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update the MS SQL Server 2005 SP2 with Latest Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to updat the my database MS SQL Server 2005 sp2 with latest update, but i'm worried about weather will affecting on my SAP application after updating databsae MS SQL Server 2005 SP2, can anybody tell me the truth what will happened on SAP Application server after updating database.

Thanks in advance

Gokul Borse

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As Eduardo said, its always recommend to update the latest patches in the system / database or SAP.

Considering your case, For sure, It will not affect any of your SAP applications because of the SP update of Database.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

I rarely have issues with installing service packs but to be very safe, backup all of your system and users databases prior to installing the latest service pack. In particular, backup the Resource database because this contains all of the system objects. The Resource is the one that gets updated every time a service pack or a cumulative update is installed. Check out the article below on how to backup the Resource database because it isn't visible from SQL Server Management Studio.

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1544/sql-server-backup-and-restore-of-the-resource-database/

The ideal situation is to have a high availability solution like database mirroring or even log shipping and apply the service pack on the mirror/standby first, break the synchronization, and access the database via the application to see if the system works fine after the service pack installation. If it doesn't, you still have an extra copy of your entire database server which is easier to restore as compared to restoring database backups which includes the system databases

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gokul,

SAP strongly recommend to update your database to the latest SP available, SP4 for SQL Server 2005.

Also, as per the following website the SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition is already on extended support:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=SQL+Server+2005&Filter=Filt...

Note 62988 also has further information about this topic.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende