cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of Factory Calendar in NWP/Activity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I understand for NWP/Activity scheduling system considers Factory calendar of the work center, even if we maintain a different calendar in the activity.

If work center does not have a factory calendar then for scheduling system considers factory calendar of the corresponding plant.

I want to understand what is the real use of the factory calendar for activity in this case??  In what scenario does system consider factory calendar assigned to activity for scheduling??

Thank you.

Regards,

Jatinder Bansal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are different calendars applicable at different levels.

The project calendar (or the company code?) is at the project level and the same will be automatically defaulted to all the NWAs when a network is created.

In the network, whenever some work has to be executed and capacities need to be made use of, we assign a work center. In this particular activity, to calculate the duration and the work, the calendar as mentioned in the work center will be used if the calendar in NWA and workcenter are different.

In all other cases, where there are no work to be done or capacity to be utilised, to arrive at the schedule and dates, the calendar given at the NWA is used if it is different from the calendar at the project level.

So each calendar is used for different purposes at different level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

Thank you for the reply.

My requirement is that i want system to schedule based on the working days in the calendar i assigned on the activity but with the working hours per day based on the capacity of the work center?

I think if i dont enter Calendar in WC, and add a calendar in activty system should pick up working hours from Capacity of WC and working days from Canendar entered in Activity?

But system is not behaving like this? i am curious to know why so?? anything we need to setup for this?

Regards,

Jatinder

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jatinder,

I am afraid that is not possible.

Out of the 3 calendars, the one at the most specific level is the most relevant. The schedule and cost details are taken only based on this calendar.

If the schedule is based on activity calendar and work hours is based on work center calendar, it will lead to incorrect schedule.

For example, if an activity takes 10days (80hours), it will be equal to 2 working weeks based on activity calendar. If work center has 4 days as holiday, then it will be 2weeks and 4 days in the work center to finish this activity. If you say that the activity takes 2 weeks as schedule based on NWA calendar , but 2 weeks and 4 days basedon work center calendar, this is misleading and the schedule based on NWA calendar will be insufficient to do the work as per work center calendar.

Hope you understand the issue. If itis not clear, please let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

As per help.sap.com this nshould be the system behaviour, but somehow my system is not behaving in line with this, so i have now raised the issue with SAP, and there developers are working on this.

Scheduling uses...

if you...

the factory calendar in the work center

have entered a calendar in the work center.

the factory calendar in the activity or relationship

have not entered a calendar in the work center.

you have not entered a calendar in the activity or for the relationship

the factory calendar for the plant

have not entered a calendar in the work center or activity

So if there is no FC entered in WC system should schedule mactivity with the factory calander entered in the activity.

Thanks for your time and help..

Regards,

Jatinder Bansal

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jatinder,

Thanks for the update.

Also please post the reply from SAP as it will help others.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

FYi - I found the answer to my question.

If we specify a unit that is smaller than "day" for the duration or thetime interval, the system schedules using the operating time per the the work center.

Now the operating time is calculated in a different way. Here if the factory calander is missing in work center, system considers Plant's factory calendar. Here basically we have to calculate the available capacity in work center using operating time.

Eg - Suppose you have a work centre where operating time is 7 hours/day and you have assigned this to an activity for which you have maintaine 21 hours in duration. So system calculates that you will require 3 days to complete this activity 7*3 = 21. Then it checks the work center factory calendar to find the start and finish dates of actvity.  If it is not found in work center then it uses the plant calendar.

Tha table for factory calendar(in your attachment) holds good when the unit is Day or greater ( week, month etc.)\

Thank you.

Regards,

Jatinder

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jatinder

As per SAP help, work center calender is given first importance. If its missing then activity calender is considered. If both work center and activity calenders are missing then plant calender is considered.

Regards

Shrikant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shrikant,

Even i think this, but when test with a WC without a calendar and assign a calendar to the activity in CJ20n, still system does not schedule according to Activity Calendar. Any pointers on reason for this will be helpfull.

Also can you share the link from SAP help where you read the mentioned details.

Regards,

Jatinder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the link below. I think theres typing mistake in second line of table:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/4c/2276f046e611d189470000e829fbbd/content.htm

Check whether project definition, WBS and activity have same calender and work center doesnt have any or just remove work center and schedule.

Regards

Shrikant