Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Strategies and Test Cases related to SAP MDM

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can anyone please throw some light on what are the testing strategies and possible test cases related to SAP MDM. with both unit testing i.e. only on MDM side(like MDM clients) and also on integration testing (like PI,ECC,Portal etc) with MDM.

Any helpful answers will be rewarded.

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Test Cases and Test Strategies for MDM is very vast term as such. There could be many possibilities like Data Model Checks for MDM, connectivity tests, performance tests, Authorization tests based upon roles, Consistency checks like auto imports and auto syndication are working fine consistently etc.

For Portal Testing, you should check if data entered is getting populated in MDM correctly and workflows etc are getting triggered through Portal. Load Test etc can also be performed to check the performance during high load.

For Integration testing, you should check if data is being received to inbound ports of MDM from PI system in case of auto imports. Similarly check if data syndicated from MDM is being received by PI correctly and then they are sending the same data to ECC as well. So there could be many test cases based upon your requirement and functionality. Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Thanks for replying. Yes, i know it is covering a lot of area. what i am looking is some important test cases which we need to test for the proper functioning of SAP MDM in all the three types of testing:

1). Unit testing (like validations,assignments, taxonomies)

2). Integration testing (like connectivity with portal or ecc-pi)

3). System testing. (like load balancing etc)

If there is any such documnet that you can share with me having the possible test cases covering all the above mentioned points.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

You can go through following links for overview of testings required to be done for testing MDM:

http://www.cognizant.com/InsightsWhitepapers/MDM-for-CRM-A-Test-Approach.pdf

• It might help you in defining few test cases like checking of Matching strategies, Execution of Assignments through Workflows(to check if values are being assigned as expected), execution of validations and setting status accordingly, Change Tracking working correctly, Auto Import execution(data being picked from Port and auto value mapping happening based on Key Mapping maintained), Authorization control is working fine based upon Roles, and others.

• You can also check if user assigned to some role, having constraint maintained, is able to see only certain records based upon authorization to avoid confusion.

• For Integration testing you have to check if Portal connection to MDM is consistent and Portal system is calling expected RFCs and storing data in MDM successfully.
  • Also check if Transactional data is being captured in some repository when users are accessing and changing data from Portal.
  • Check if auto syndication is happening when Portal process is completed.
  • Check if MDM validations are being called successfully on Portal and user friendly error message is thrown in case validation fails.
  • In approval process data should be fetched on Portal screen successfully based upon certain key fields.
  • Also check that Record is being checked out when some user is acting on the record from Portal and then check in is done after portal process is complete.
  • For De-duplication, Matching strategies are being called and executed successfully and duplicate results are displayed on screen.
  • Check if users are receiving email notifications in desired scenarios.

• For PI system you have to check that data from PI is being received in correct format and no extra characters are appended to data values(this will cause structural exceptions and auto import will fail and also affects performance).
  • Check if PI is placing files in correct folder of Port for auto-imports.
  • Also check if PI mappings are working fine in case of sending import file to MDM and also when sending file to ECC and other systems.
  • Check if PI is interpreting multiple value delimiters correctly and populating the data in XML file correctly.
  • Validate RFC execution or fields combination/splitting in PI system.

• In ECC, you can check if Idoc is being processed correctly and validations are being called as expected.
  • Check if users are receiving email notifications in desired scenarios.
  • Check for Data updates in ECC tables etc.
  • In case you have Temporary tables, then check if data is being captured temporarily there and after intended processing, data is being deleted from these tables.

• You have to check for Data Synchronization, Data Enrichment, Data Replication as and where applicable.

There could be many others as well but i can think of these only at this point of time.

I hope this helps you. Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Thank you so much for spending your time in my query.

Do you have any points related to system testing also.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Sorry but not much info regarding System Testing.

Kindly let me know as well when you find out the test cases for System Testing.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj