Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA, Archived data, and cold storage and hot storage question

joseph_gonzales
Participant
0 Kudos

SAP HANA, Archived data, and cold storage and hot storage question:

Hello SAP HANA friends:

In the classic SAP BW scenario, the access to current data and archived data is very clear, SAP BW, Near line storage box, use of a multiprovider and the indicator in the query to use the nls data.

I'm trying to understand what this will look like in the new SAP HANA world.

The first problem is, how do I get data out of in-memory into an archive system, is there a "SARA" transaction for SAP HANA?

If I get my my data into a NLS system, what would I do to get a query result that had both in-memory data combined with NLS data?

There are a few comments from Hasso at SAPPHIRE on functionality using "cold storage" and "hot storage", I've found no information

on when such functionality would be available, or any information on how this may work.

Please, any and all comments are appreciated.

Also any direction to documents on this topic would be very helpful.

Regards,

Joe Gonzales

856 912 1136

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

For the BW on HANA scenario the NearLine Storage scenario as described still works. If your query goes on data that is partially in RAM and partially in NLS, the result will still show all data.

Getting the data from HANA to NLS also works as before via Data Archiving Processes that connect to the NLS.

Feel free to contact me directly for more info. I can also connect you with the correct colleagues at SAP for the topic.

best regards,

Joseph

Saritha_K
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

Can you please share some documents which highlight the archiving process in HANA with important pointers on how cost could be reduced without comprising on performance and data availability?

I am focusing on archiving data that would flow from both ECC and BW to HANA.

Regards,

Saritha

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I might be completely wrong here , but I was not aware of any data archival in HANA.

finally it is not in current SAP HANA releases  , but being planned for future : the capability to make tables as HOT or COLD manually. So whenever HANA faces a shortage of memory , it will first off load the RAM, the tables maked HOT.

but as such it has an inbuilt capability that decides which tables to offload  ( to persistant storage)when facing a squeeze on the RAM space.

Secondly HANA can only work off the RAM, inface a table is offloaded to persistant storage, but the view built on it is called , then HANA automatically LOADS the table to RAM.