Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping Smart Forms in duplex mass print

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts

I came across following issue.

We have two smart forms with variable size (2 to n pages, depending on corresponding data). Both forms are carbon copies in terms of the setup, each one have 2 pages:

• FIRST page with attributes Next Page => SECOND and Print Mode => Duplex
  • SECOND page with attributes Next Page => SECOND and Print Mode => null

First form (lets call it A) when mass printed in duplex does not have an overlap.

Second form (lets call it B) when mass printed in duplex does have an overlap, so (depending on number of pages) first page of next correspondence sometimes is printed on last (back-page) of the previous correspondence. In other words there is no logical grouping for form B.

We have checked all the configuration and print events for both forms but could not find anything that would suggest that such logical grouping has been enabled on form A.

We are using Tx FPCOPARA for mass printing.

As a workaround we have implemented a “trick” where we are inserting blank page if total number of pages is odd. It’s not ideal solution especially because we also need to convert this form into PDF and store it in our system. Please note that such workaround has not been implemented on form A and yet it works flawlessly. I am really puzzled by that, can anyone help me to understand it? Is there a way to force printing first page of Smart Form always on the front page (in Duplex mass printing) without adding empty page at the end (for correspondence with odd number of pages)?

Regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

In the Question, the second page print mode is null. It means form will not be printed in duplex mode from the third page on-wards? If the form is printed in duplex from the third page onwards then copy the contents of the second page and put it as third page then make the mode of the third page 'Duplex' then make the second page point to third page and the third page pointing to second page. If odd page no comes, then the last page of the previous output and the first page both will have Duplex. So it will work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

John

Apologies for delay in replying.

We tried your suggestion just now but end result is exactly the same.

Also note that we did not have to use such gimmicks on other form which works perfectly fine when mass printed in duplex. Perhaps Tx like FCOPARA inject some special commands creating logical grouping, but I have no idea how we can enable it (is it controlled by some customizing, or some event/exit).

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Duplex printing can be controlled at smartforms, SPAD configuration and the printer. Pls compare with the other smartforms forms and use the same printer for checking.

Regards,

John

surya_chaganti2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Greetings! We are facing a similar issue when running mass printing using FPCOPARA and would like to know the solution if it is resolved through some standard settings. Appreciate your inputs in this regard.

Thanks,

Surya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Could you post your solution to the problem mentioned. I am also facing the same issue.

Thanks.

Ravi Varma

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

It sounds like the spools are being appended into one spool rather than each spool being separate.

These spools are created via smartforms. For Smartforms when the application print program calls the function module of the Smartform, there is the structure OUTPUT_OPTIONS, by which you can set the output parameters of the Smartform. If the oparameters OUTPUT_OPTIONS-TDNEWID and OUTPUT_OPTIONS-TDFINAL are filled, then the spools will not be appended.

Can you check if this helps?

regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aidan

Thanks for a suggestion but that’s not what we are looking for.

We do not want to create separate spool for each correspondence as it will not be user friendly (in mass run some couple/few thousands correspondences might be printed).

Surely there is a way to create some logical grouping (perhaps system is injecting some command in OTF to make sure that in duplex print pages are not overlapping) I just can’t find a way to do it. Please note that such “grouping” works perfectly fine on a different form we are using. We have compared these 2 forms (setup, customizing, print events) and so far we could not find a way to enable such functionality.

Regards

Michael

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

In theory what you are doing should work. Because the duplex command is sent for page FIRST, it should always start on the Front of a new page. Is the setting done in the correct language versions of the forms and are they forms activated after making the settings?

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aidan

Thank you for prompt reply.

I don’t see how language could be of any relevance here. Naturally we make sure that form looks fine in both languages (developer and client have different language preference). We also make sure that Smart Form and all corresponding objects are re-activated after making any changes.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

What do you mean when you say overlap. Please post some screenshots.

Also you can use a condition like &SFSY-PAGE& EQ 1/&SFSY-PAGE& NE 1 on the window to force something to print/not print on the first page. See if this works.

Regards,

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shravan

Thanks for your suggestions but I am afraid that’s not what I have been looking for.

Perhaps I did not explain my issue well. First of all I can’t really provide any screenshots as only physical printout is affected. Let me try to explain the issue on some simple example. Let’s say we have a mass print consisting of just 2 correspondences (same form naturally) and both of these correspondences will have 3 pages. When printing it in duplex mode we get 3 sheets of paper. As efficient as it is (in terms of paper consumption) its rather difficult to send such correspondence to the recipients as second sheet of paper will include last page of first correspondence and first page of second correspondence.

I hope it’s a bit more clear.

Regards

Michael