cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside Discovery Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having an issue with the outside discovery process and it not detecting the database installed on a logical host.We have a scenario where we have one physical host with two SAP systems installed. The first has been installed using the physical hostname of the server and the second has been installed using a logical hostname, a seperate diagnostic agent has been installed for each of the hostnames (physical and logical). The diagram below shows the layout:

The host discovery process has detected both the physical and logical hostnames and pushed the host data to the LMDB. The database data for the system installed on the physical hostname has been pushed to the LMDB however for the database installed on the logical hostname it has not.

When running the command, "saphostctrl -function listDatabases" on the server it does not list the database installed on the logical hostname but does find the database installed on the physical hostname. If i run the command "saphostctrl -function getDatabaseProperties -dbname <SID> -dbtype ora" using the SID of the system installed on the logical hostname the values are returned successfully. The same applies when running "saphostctrl -function getDatabaseStatus -dbname <SID> -dbtype ora".

I have tried updating the hostagent to the latest version (720 patch 112) and the kernel of the Diagnostic's Agents but this has not resolved the issue. I have also applied SAP Note 1712468 but this has not resolved the error. Our Solution Manager version is 7.1 SPS4, both the Databases for the managed systems are Oracle 10.2.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just a quick update on this issue just in case anyone else comes across the problem. The issue is now resolved, I raised it with SAP and they provided a solution. The issue was caused by the Oracle home of the second database not being contained within the Oracle central Inventory.

If you experience this issue check the value of /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc, I found firstly this was pointing specifically to one of the Oracle Homes (/oracle/<sid>/...) rather than /oracle/oraInventory changing this value back resulted in the other database being installed. I believe the value of /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc had been amended during previous installs due to the suggestions in note 350251. This resulted in the central inventory missing the new Oracle Homes.

To add the missing Oracle Homes to the central inventory the following command had to be run as ora<sid>.

runInstaller -attachHome ORACLE_HOME="<Oracle_Home_Location>" ORACLE_HOME_NAME="<Oracle_Home_Name>"

The steps to resovle the issue are:

1) If required point /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc to the Central Inventory

2) As ora<sid> navigate to ORACLE_HOME/oui/bin

3) ./runInstaller -attachHome ORACLE_HOME="<Oracle_Home_Location>" ORACLE_HOME_NAME="<Oracle_Home_Name>"

Once this has been completed the database should be detected by the host agent, the process is similar for Windows environments however the paths to the files and the commands are slightly different. The below Oracle help pages contain the information:

Oracle 10.2:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16227/oui3_manage_oracle_homes.htm

Oracle 11.2:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui2_manage_oracle_homes.htm

Ryan

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses, I will respond to all your ideas in this one post

1) We could apply SPS5 but would like to explore other options as this is only affecting this specific scenario

2) SAPOscol is runnning on the server

3) I can not see the check box you refer to, is this a new feature in SPS5?

4) I have already applied SAP Note 1712468, including the lastest version released on the 16/07/2012

5) I have looked through the troubleshooting guide prior to posting this message but I haven't found anything that seems to be assisting with this issue.

I think the fact that the "saphostctrl -function listDatabases" command does not find the database suggests that the issue is local to the server and not related to the Solution Manager system. If I understand the process correctly I think command is used by the database discovery to detect the databases on the hostnames detected by the host discovery.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan

If you have are in starting phase of implementation I would strongly recommend to Patch your system to SP05, as it not only have corrections and enhancements also.

Below is the screenshot of what I was talking about. This functionality was there in SP04 also.

If this check box is checked than your outside discovery is configured properly.

For further inputs, can you please let us know what phase are you in e.g System Preparation, Basic Configuration,..etc.

Have you updated you host_profile for trusted connection?

Best Regards

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for the response, I do not have the check box you have shown in your screenshot (see attached screenshot)

The system preparation and basic configuration step have all been completed (except we are unable to establish a connection to SAP as we have no external connection from our system)

I have added the "service/admin_users" parameter to the host_profile of the host agent.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan

As I can see from the screenshot. SAPOSCOL service is working, because it is giving the details or Managed System OS.

But this is very strange behavior. If Outside Discovery is not configured properly, then this check box might not be checked. But Completely missing the check box is something strange.

1. Can you check the same for Solution Managed system itself.? If this is available.

2. Please let us know you are in which phase/step of configuration.

3. Details of Managed systems your trying to connect(Product version, Netweaver release)and

SLD details(if it is not on Solution Manager.)

4, Is SLD getting all the details of technical systems?

Best Regards

Saurabh

FCI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

Apologies for the delay coming back to you, as per one of your previous suggestions I am going to apply SPS5 and see if this resolves the issue. I also have it raised with SAP and will post back if SAP or SPS5 resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help so far

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to suggestions above, you could also check the outside discovery troubleshooting guide available at https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000486362011E

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please apply notes 0001712468.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is it possible for you to patch Solution Manager 7.1 SP05 as many issues are resolved.

Can you please check the entries what are displayed in after running this T-code: ST06

and check if SAPOSCOL is running.

Also please check in Managed System Configuration-->Maintain System-->

-->technical instance-->There will be a check box for Outside discovery..

Is this check box checked?

Best Regards

Saurabh