cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should one have SAP Live experience before he or she teaches SAP in an Institute?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Should one have SAP Live experience before he or she teaches SAP in an Institute?

As per me, yes one must have the Go-Live experience for making SAP teaching more effective. Probably, I see this is the only way how SAP can reach the students and faculty with a meaning and purpose. Else, it is taught almost like History, Geography, or at best like a science subject. SAP is an enterprise application and has been originated from the Industry and can best be taught and appreciated only when the practitioners of the SAP are engaged in teaching in Universities. SAP must actively encourage this in coming days.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nihar

I am sorry but I don't agree about the need for "hands on" industry experience before teaching SAP.  There are so many rich resources available to lecturers today which provide an understanding of the technology, solutions and associated issues.  If we follow your logic then universities would be limited in teaching about HANA. 

There is a need to bring industry into the classroom to provide relevance but requiring academics to have industry experience is not the only avenue.

Regards

Paul Hawking

SAP Academic Program Director

Victoria University

Melbourne

SAP Mentor

RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Nihar,

Hi! A very good question! In any profession the combination of education, skills, and work experiences are attributes for becoming an expert and gaining a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

With that said, I can see scenarios where a professor has great expertise on the subject (i.e. accounting or supply chain management, etc.) and understands the SAP curricula and has training on how to present it (i.e. from attending a UA workshop) and is comfortable to teach it.

Certainly a professor can consider bringing in guest speakers (found by them) to supplement the "work experience" part. In addition most of our curricula library topics have videos associated with them so you can share real-life experiences with the class.

So while working experience is desirable there are ways to work around it.

Best regards,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard. Thanks for the input. You rightly supported that work exp. is

desirable, if not available then go for work around. I wonder if SAP and

SAP UA themselves should think and do anything special to attract those

people with work exp. to become faculty.

RichBlumberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Nihar,

Hi! Thanks! 2 approaches I see...

• University department has a full time opening and makes SAP experience a criteria
  • University department creates an advisory group of customers who can lend experience (& may have an interest hiring future graduate talent)

Also, making connections with the local SAP User Group can be very positive!
http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7656

Best regards,

Richiard