cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention period of monitoring data inSolman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have setup all the monitoring scenarios(EWA,SLR,System Monitoring, BpMon, RCA..etc) in Solman, wondering

1. How much monitoring data can solman store, captured form multiple satellite systems(apprx 20)
  2. How long does the solman store monitoring data captured form multiple satellite systems(apprx 20)
  3. Can we contol the store time(retention period), what will happend over a period of time(say after 10 yrs..if this data is acumulating is olman system)
  4. what is the best practice ?

Reddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jolanta_gniadek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

That depends on the scenario.

In SLR, EWA case you might consider scheduling a report RDSMOPREDUCEDATA which deletes the sessions that are for example older than 90 or 365 days.

In BPMon you define in the setup for how long the data should be stored and you need to check if job SM:REORG BPMON ALERTS is running in your system

As far as I remember in SolMan 7.1 other monitoring data is stored in BI cubes and you can also setup how often data is being aggregated, so you don't have an excessive amount of data.

I'm not sure if there is any best practice here, you need to adjust it to your needs.

BR,

Jolanta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jolanta,

Thanks for your reply

In BPMon you define in the setup for how long the data should be stored and you need to check if job SM:REORG BPMON ALERTS is running in your system

---> where in Bpmon do we have this option to set the data storage time?

---->SM:REORG BPMON ALERTS purpose ? is it for deleting the old data , how much long data is deleted?

As far as I remember in SolMan 7.1 other monitoring data is stored in BI cubes and you can also setup how often data is being aggregated, so you don't have an excessive amount of data

-->to aggergae the data , the monitred data itself has be availabel in solman right, so the monitored data that is fetched by solman and the aggregated data ,all to gether shouldnt be an issue after say 10 yrs??

also what if i dont schedule the reorg jobs(EWA,SLR,RCA,BPmon) , will the data keep accumulated for ever?

Not sure of this, can i use the archiving of data stored in BI Info cubes , that is older than X yrs

Reddy

jolanta_gniadek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

For BPMon the place of the setup is dependent on the version of SolMan you have, in 7.1 SP5 you can find it in BPO workcenter -> Setup Business Process monitoring -> <expand your solution you're monitoring> -> cross functions ->Alert Parameter Sets, here you define how old data should be aggregated/deleted

Built-in BI component in SolMan behaves like a regular BI. For technical monitoring you can go to SOLMAN_SETUP to Technical monitoring scenario and there in point 2.6 "Housekeeping" you can define when alerts should be aggregated. Data in BI cubes is not being archived but aggregated, which means that if before you had data that tells you there were 10 alerts in January, 20 in February and so on... BI will aggregate it to 100 alerts in 2012 (if you choose yearly aggregation), so after 10 years you'll have 10 lines (not exactly but that's the simple version) which you can also aggregate later on.

Hope that this explains a bit more.

BR,

Jolanta.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jolata,

Thanks again

1.I couldnt find the Bpmon navigation path, our's is solman 7.1 SP4 and the one u gave is 7.1 SP5

2.The second one qstn, may be i have not put the question properly, re-phrasing the same with Ex:

Assume i have setup RCA in Jan 2010 say i want to look the response time or Abap Dump of my ECC system in RCA,solman for the date March 3rd  2010

1.I beleive i will be able see the response time/Abap dump of my ecc on march 3rd 2010 and this is not a aggregate data

2.So, i assume the Built in BI Component storing data for more than 2yrs

3.so on a whole ,RCA stores various monitoring data(workload, trace,change analyis,exception analysis, host analysis, DB analysis,wily data)

so if solman stores the data like this for all my satellite system in BI infocubes,which is huge, how can i control(retention period, jobs to delete data befor a particular date)

Hope i have explained clearly..thanks for your qucik reply and patience

Reddy

jolanta_gniadek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

1. In SP4 you can find it in your setup session, you need to go to "Generation/Activation/Deactivation" part of your business process and here to the tab "Process Specific Settings".

- Reorganization time 1 is the time (in days) for which the alert data is kept.

- Reorganization time 2 is the time (in days) after which aggregation of alert data starts. The alert data is summarized by day, week, and month, and can be used for the Alert Statistics for the corresponding business process within Service Level Reporting. This value must be less or equal to Reorganization time 1, otherwise the alerts are deleted before the aggregation starts.

- Reorganization time 3 is the time (in days) for which the aggregated alert data is kept.

Usually the default settings are enough and I would suggest to change them only if you have a need of storing information about alerts for a longer time.

2.  I can't say for sure where or how it looks in RCA, as we never really needed it before, I'm pretty sure though that it must be set somewhere, maybe in extractor framework. In case of already mentioned technical monitoring if you for example decide that the data needs to be aggregated after some time like:

8days
31days
100days
52weeks
47months

It meant that after 8 days you will not be able to see minute granularity (then you might see only hourly) and after 31 days you will not be able to see hourly granularity (you'll be able to see only daily) and so on... after 47 months you will not be able to see monthly granularity but only yearly one.With aggregation the amount of data is reduced. You can imagine it like records, first you have 720 minutes * 8 days = 5760 records, after aggregation to the hourly level you have 24h * 8days = 192 records, which later will be aggregated to days and weeks and months.

BR,

Jolanta