cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fate of Hook method call on short dump?

Abhijeet-K
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Would hook method WDDOEXIT of the component controller be called if somewhere in the component a piece of code, or some unforeseen situation, causes a short dump?

Our scenario is fairly simple:

1. Reserve a work item, in the WDDOINIT method of window, or component controller. Report error, if already reserved by some one else.
  2. Operate on it.
  3. Update the work item status as completed, if the processing is indeed over. Alternatively, put back the work item, in case the gentleman/lady working on it decide to work upon it later, in the WDDOONCLOSE method of the window or, WDDOEXIT of window or component controller.

Now, while working on the work item, a short dump occurs, the work item stays reserved and the other user cannot work upon it, as the Hook methods mentioned in step 3 are not being called.

How to ensure that even in case of abrupt or disgraceful termination of application, the work item is workable for other users?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per my understanding, WDDOEXIT would not be called on dump.

Abhijeet-K
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Khushboo,

Your understanding is in line with my observation. But that leaves the second question open.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the cause of dumps are some situations that we don't handle in code. So the answer to second question should be - Avoid all dumps through coding. Handle all situations and possible exceptions. An application giving dump is not a very good application.

Abhijeet-K
Active Participant
0 Kudos

That was pretty straight, even if trite. I understand your point, but there can be situations which are out of a programmer's control. For instance, time out on account of connectivity or too long a selection, unavoidable due to business requirements or simply, unusual traffic on a particular day. So, even if one handles all perceived situations and known exceptions, there can be unforeseen situations - as I mentioned in the original post - that can cause dumps.

The idea is to have a robust code. Something which is synonymous with your definition of 'good application'.

Any more ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think such situations would not cause 'dump'. The application may terminate abruptly - that is a different thing. And I think as a developer we can handle only dumps.