cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory parameters....

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi expert,

i don't know is this the rt space to raise this question , as i am very new to this forum, recently i have joined a production unit, where doing daily monitoring of the work process i come across a strange issue that most of the work process are in private mode during the peak hrs of the day, i know this is the memory allocation related issue, even i have raised the discussion earlier i got the well responses from the scn members, still i want to know i there is any mathematical calculation for setting the memory parameters  in SAP , as we have 1200 users working during the peak hrs,

if yes kindly let me know.

thanks in advance....

Regards

Bishwanath kanjilal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no formula to calculate , but yes there is a way to correctly configure your memory parameters according to the available hardware resources in the system. This comes with understanding the allocation of memory and how workprocesses access/utilize memory from the virtual memory pool.

I would suggest you go through the presentation (paste it in a browser)

asfan.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/memorymanagement.ppt

Also go through this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/02/96253c538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

The memory assignment for a dialog workprocess is as follows:

SAP roll area first --> Extended memory (till the value of ztta/roll_extension) --> Remaining roll are --> Heap memory

When heap memory is allocated , the work process goes into PRIV mode and it is not released of the user context and is not available for other dialog sessions to use. PRIV modes are detrimental to system performce and should be avoided.

I suggest you extend the parameters ztta/roll_extension and em/initial_size_mb . Also extend the swap space .

Let me know the current values of the above 3 parameters and also the RAM available in the system . Then we can provide a suggestion based on your input . Also you might have to extend the physical memory if the suggestions do not fit into your existing memory configuration .

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks 4 the reply ratanjit , i will paste the results.

Regards

Bishwanath kanjilal

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot ratnajit dey..your guidance really helped me a lot.......

Regards

Bishwanath kanjilal

Answers (0)