cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Statistical Forecasting, Constrained Forecasting and Unsconstrained Forecasting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one pls tell me the differences between Statistical Forecasting, Constrained Forecasting and Unsconstrained Forecasting with an example.

Regards,

Kumar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kumar,

Consider a make-to-stock example. A packaged foods manufacturer supplies frozen meat products to retailers. For brevity, assume a single product and production capacity is limited by the raw material i.e. right animal (or bird) with respect age, weight, health, etc. There is a confirmed supply of 2500 kg of meat per month.

The sales demand (cleansed history) for past 3 months are as follows: (Comes from the sales history)

CategoryApril
May
June
Cleansed Sales history24002600

Considering a simple moving average method to generate statistical forecast and a simple promotion to take advantage of the summer month's seasonal demand.

CategoryJuly
Aug
Sept
Stat. Forecast25002533

Promotion

Total unconstrained forecast310035333011

Since the available supply is only 2500 kg per month, the manufacturer has to look outside to meet the demand spikes (especially due to promotion). Assume the following confirmed capacity.

Confirmed Capacity
July
Aug
Sept
In-house production25002500

External procurement450600511
Total confirmed capacity295031003011

Based on meat availability constraint, the total confirmed capacity shown above will be our constrained forecast that can be met by the production.

CategoryJuly
Aug
Sept
Unconstrained Forecast31003533

Constrained Forecast295031003011
Difference1504330

Since the difference is significant in July and Aug months, the manufacturer has to rework on the planned promotion for these two months.

I hope this simple example helps you to understand the business perspective of statistical, unconstrained, and constrained forecasts.

Thanks,

Rajesh