cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Vs. Fresh install of Netweaver 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to upgrade NW7.0 Ehp1 to NW 7.3, this is our BW ABAP only system. We are already in process of upgrading sandbox system for testing.

But we are in discussion that we should Upgrade the existing system or should we install the fresh new NW 7.3? Please help me to come up with pros & cons.

Also, if we do fresh install, than after that how will the data be migrated, if anyone have any insights/document on that. I didn't finf any document on this anywhere? Atleast if anyone have high level steps.

Appreciate for help in advance

Thanks

Mousam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Fresh Installation:

1. easy to do

2. no downtime of live system

3. have enough time to trouble shoot the issues during installation

But

Data / configuration has to be migrated post installation which is a big task. chances of missing things

upgrade

1. Downtime required

2. Complex

But you have all your data & configuration

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mousam,

Upgrade in isolation is a slightly more complex process vis-a-vis installation.However for live systems that is what most of us would do. So if given an option go for upgrade.

However for many companies which may include yours the ultimate decision is made of evaluating the cost that would be incurred. So if the cost for upgrade is much more than a fresh install then probably a fresh landscape would be not such a bad option. Though technically not the best way.

Now coming to migration if a fresh system is installed. You would have evaluate first what needs to be migrated. I would classify it as follows along with migration approach:

1. Standard repository changes: You might have made changes to standard SAP repository in your lower version system. A lot of those changes might already be reflecting in your fresh system with higher release .The ones not you need to take a call and decide what needs to be replicated. Prefer doing it manually.

2. Customer repository objects: Now this while it looks straightforward may not be so. Reason is custom objects often use standard includes/function modules/call statements. While in theory you can transport these objects you could encounter issues during transport import and post import. And a success transport import dpoesn't imply a successful logic import. So post import you need to syntax check and through testing.

3. Customzing:You can attempt at transporting but would be an issue if table structure has got changed. Otherway and I would prefer is doing manually.

4. Transactional Data: Well in theory you can use idocs whereever possible but if basic idoc type has gpot changed (in terms of definition) which it can due to a different release you will have problems. So instead you the technique of migration from legacy systems - for ex: Flat files and then LSMW import.

Any other data pending ??

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is always better to upgrade than to install fresh and do the configuration from scratch and migrate data which will take considerable amount of time.   Upgrade is always a better option for a live environment where you do not plan to implement new features and just want to upgrade the system technically.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is my view on it. New Install's  are easy to do technically as compared to Upgrades and can be quick too. There are many factors in considering upgrade vs new install. If you will go with a new install , the biggest question would be whether you can create all the data in your new system which is similar to your old system. How much of it you can really re-create and how much of it you can afford to loose.

Your BW application team should be able to answer this .

Regards

Amit Padmawar