cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Load and Replicate data in SLT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one say what is the differences between load and replicate data in SLT - HANA. Please could you also explain me the advantage and dis advantage on load and replicate data.

Thanks,

Shakthi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Shakthi,

'Load' will load only the current data and not any other data that is changed afterwards (no delta support)

'Replicate' will load the data till the current state and also all the changes that happen then on  (Replicate = Load + Delta).

Load is advantage if you think you won't have any updates in any table and this will not create any triggers or logging table in the source system which are primarily required for delta (and hence replicate creates and uses them!)

Replicate is advantage if you want real-time data always in HANA and which would enable you for real-time reporting.

Thanks,

Sathish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

maneeshinfo87
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Shakthi,

Was going through some post and come across this, may be its still open so below is the difference:

Load:

Starts an initial load of replication data from the source system. The procedure is a one-time event. After it is completed, further changes to the source system database will not be replicated.

For the initial load procedure, neither database triggers nor logging tables are created in the source system. Default settings use reading type 3 (DB_SETGET) with up to 3 background jobs in parallel to load tables in parallel or subsequently into the HANA system.

Replicate:

Combines an initial load procedure and the subsequent replication procedure (real time or scheduled).

Before the initial load procedure will start, database trigger and related logging table are created for each table in the source system as well as in SLT replication server

Regards,

Maneesh

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maneesh,

This is not opened. Please do not revive dead posts (see

BRs,

Lucas de Oliveira (moderator)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shakthi:

In short, if you are familiar with how SAP BW delta data extraction works then - the SLT load is similar to init load in BW and SLT replicate is similar to delta loads in BW. SLT internally maintains delta mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shakthi,

Load - if i relate load into BW terms , then load is basically your first full load. You can choose load option for that purpose.It will bring your entire data structure and data into your HANA database.

Usually load , we prefer when user doesnt want to see real time scenario, & if i think from developer point of view , i will prefer load , if i want to do modelling n my HANA studio, because i knw that data present with me will be correct , the possiblity of any error in real time entering of data by user will be avoided.once the model is ready , u can put the tables in replication mode......

"Replication mode" - replication mode is used when user wants to see its data real time , in simple terms , replication will put triggers in ur source system and change log table in ur SLT system. As , the entry is created in your source system the triggers will automatically put values in your change log table & delta will pickup those enteries from changelog table into HANA database. this is hw ur replication works , in which you can see near real time data flow.

My preference will be .... load table first ..... & then put it in replicate mode , if needed acc. to business scenario.....

Hope this helps...

Thnkss

Kulwinder