cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOAP: call failed: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My current scenario flow is R/3 -> XI -> SOAP .

Here in this scenario , XI is sending IDOC XML to an webservice using Receiver SOAP Adapter . Messages with payload less than 1 MB is getting processed without any issues . But for messaages which is more than 2 MB , I am getting the following error in channel . Please let me know as to how to fix this issue.

Message processing failed. Cause: com.sap.engine.interfaces.messaging.api.exception.MessagingException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Note : In the receiver SOAP adapter, under module tab I  have entered XI.Timeout parameter name  with parameter value as 300000(5 mins)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Vinay,

This exception doesn't seem a PI timeout problem. The communication socket probably has been cut by the SOAP endpoint . You should contact with the webservice provider and assure what time they have open the communication.

Regards.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I contacted the webservice team and they confirmed back that the webservice is running fine and they can accept payloads greater than 500MB as well.

SAP  asked us to check SAP note which mentions about Service pack upgrade . This will required upgrading DEV,QUA and PROD systems to the new patch level . Client did not want any updates to cause an issue in PROD so we decided to make the following changes at R/3 end and the issue is solved now

- Not to send huge records of data to XI.

Regards

Vinay

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The remote connection from the webservice is closed  while the data transfer happening between PI and target system. So this error occurs. Take help from network team and ask them to run tcpdump command and tcptrace tool to check the transfer packets details between PI and target system in OS level. This would help to find further details on this error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi lnaki and Anupam,

Thanks for the response . Will get in touch with the Webservice team regarding his and will update the post

Regards

Vinay P.

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

There is a limitation on amount of records you can update/insert/download from webservice using SOAP API. The limitation is  decided by webservice itself. After the flow of data exceeds its limitation web service will close the socket SAP-PI has opened with it. Then you receive this kind of error. First check with webservice documentation about the limitation. Then you need to find out if other API's are available for webservice for bulk data transfer.

Regards

Anupam