cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices in PM Catalogue maintenance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We implemented SAP (Plant Maintenance) around 15 years back and over the years the codes in the catalogue code groups have grown. Some of these codes are no longer valid. We would like to get rid of some such codes and re-arrange the rest of the codes in proper sequence. Though we can delete the obsolete codes, re-arranging will not be possible as we can't use the code(numbers) of deleted codes any longer. Should we create a totally new code group with the required codes in proper order and set the status of old code group to '3' (Can no longer be used) or should we just delete the unwanted codes and live with the existing sequence - we would like to know what is the industtry best practice?

Appreciate any inputs on this.

Thanks,

GR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Ravi,

I would assume that this depends on your reporting needs as well as your legacy data.

Unused codes could be deleted easily, however I believe that codes that are no longer needed, but are used in the system can be an issue. Therefore keeping to the existing group might be problematic. Also, you shouldn't change old codes as you might affect historic data reporting.

I think it would be best to create a new catalog group, and try to work out an optimum sequence of codes in the catalog with involvement from the business. Keep in mind the habits and expectations of the end users, so as to make a new convention transparent and easy to follow.

Keep some spacing between your catalog codes e.g. numbering them rather like 0010, 0020 than 0001, 0002 - this will give you some flexibilty if those ever need updating. When a Client was revising their catalogs after 4 years of operation, they decided to use a similar coding, but took advantage of this space between the particular entries. It may also be desirable to use a convention for numbers within the code e.g. two first digits denote a sub-group, two last digits denote particular codes.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

as of my experience its better to dump the old group (set it to status 3) and make a new code sequence. Usually the aim for this is to make sure that the users are choosing the right codes. If you keep the old sequence you will probably end in the same state that you are now - people choosing vaguely or wrong, since the catalogue is too incomprehensive to them.

Of course you have to always keep in mind that the catalogue has been changed and reflect this in reports etc.