Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we do attachment in MDM Customer Master

former_member245533
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have a requirement in MDM customer master for which I am looking solution.

In MDM customer master, I need to configure a field as attachment so that we can attach any .pdf, .doc, .xml, .ppt, .xls etc. files from the system.

Is this possible to do in MDM? Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards

Shailendra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailendra,

I would request you to reward the points if you find my answer helpful

and close the thread if you have got the answer for the question asked.

Regards,

Satyam Rastogi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailendra,

Yes, it is possible to configure an attachemnt field for Customer Master in MDM system.

The points which are needed to be followed are as follows:

1) Firstly, the document can be attached through any user interface like portal by the user himself.

2) In MDM Customer Master, you can add 3 fields like File Name,Archive ID and No of attachments in the Customer repository through MDM Console data model design.

3) When the user uploads an attachment while the creation of  customer through portal system , then upon saving the request, the Archive ID would be fetched and generated from the IXOS server in which the doc will be stored, File name field would be saved as the file name given by user and No of attachments field would store the no of attachments attached by the user.

4) While syndicating the customer to ECC, the mappings should also be in place with the PI interface so that I-doc can carry the data successfully to ECC system

5) Then a customised table should also be created in ECC which stores the information  like Request ID,customer number,Archive ID,File Name and Counter( the no of attahcments attched) etc and it will be updated everytime when the Customer is syndicated to ECC system.

I hope this will help you.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Satyam Rastogi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailendra,

Can you please explain which all systems are there in your solution?

Like, Portal is used to enter data which is stored in MDM as intermediate Database and then it is syndicated to ECC? Or there is some variation to your scenario?

Please let me know to answer your question more effectively.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

former_member245533
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

My requirement is just to add a field in MDM as attachment so that we can attach any document with reference to a particular customer and can send to ECC. MDM version is MDM 7.1

Portal is also used to create / update the customer. We are updating customer in MDM and syndicate it, then PI connects MDM and ECC.

So this is as MDSS outbound --> MDM sender adapter --> PI --> Idoc receiver adapter --> ECC.

With regards

Shailendra

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just add a lookup field which  links to the binary object table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailendra,

I understand your requirement now. It can be achieved in two different ways listed as below:

Solution 1:

• Create new field in your main table of type Lookup[PDF] (assuming that PDF files will be uploaded).
  • Develop new tab in your customer portal screen which will have provision for adding attachments.
  • You need to write the logic which will take care of uploading PDF files to Object Table "PDFs" in MDM.
  • When user has attached the PDFs for some customer, then assign the PDF name to Lookup field created to store the reference to the PDF link.
  • In case of more than one attachments, you can set the lookup field as Multi-valued and then assign PDF Names separated by delimiter.

Similarly you can develop for Binary Objects table if file type is some other binary type.

Disadvantage of this solution is that it will degrade the performance of the system.

Since customer records are large in number and hence attachments number and size will also be large and hence will get more time to load and refresh which will result in performance issues.

Solution 2:

Another solution is to use External server to store attached documents and MDM will contain only reference to the file name stored in the external server. Steps are as described below:

• You need to change data model as per your requirement:
  • If you want to restrict the number of attachments per customer (say 3 attachments/cust), then you can do changes in your main table and add 3 fields for saving File name and 3 fields for storing Document ID used in the external server.

• If you do not want to restrict the number of attachments, then you can create one qualified table with fields Sequence Number(non-Qualifier), File Name(Qualifier) and Document ID(Qualifier). Sequence number could be lookup field with values from 1 to n.

Note: You can add other relevant fields as per your requirement.

• Portal application would be developed to accept attachments from users and store these on external server and correspondingly assign file name and document ID in MDM for respective customer.

• If you have requirement to display these attachments in ECC as well, then you can syndicate this info to ECC. Create separate Z table which will hold, Cust number, File Name, Document ID etc.
  • Then develop custom Transaction in ECC which will take the Document ID with respect to customer and search the same in external server and display the attachment on desktop.

You can restrict the size of the attachments as well on Portal screen itself so that server is not adversely affected by huge size of attachment and performance is not compromised.

You can choose the solution which serves your purpose in better way.

I hope this solves your query. If you still have any questions then please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj