cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error installing BOMM XI 3.1. Can anybody help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody, trying to install Metadata Management XI 3.1 I get the following error at the "Configure web application server" step:

No compatible web server found. Please check <as_instance> value in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\deployment\config.tomcat55 to make sure it has the correct instance name

My environment is

- BO XI 3.1 SP3, Product Version 12.3.0.601, Database Name: ...;microsoft sql server;10.50.1617

- Tomcat 5.5 installed automatically with the default option in the BO setup

- Windows XP Version 2002 SP3.   Fully patched

- Intel Chipset

I've already checked the "as_instance" parameter in the config.tomcat55 file and it's value is "localhost", which corresponds (as it should do) to the subfolder name at ".../conf/Catalina".  I've tried changing this value to my CMS's system name and capturing the corresponding name in the setup's dialog, but the results are just the same.

Does anybody know what's going on and how it's solved?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

satishra
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
satishra
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Symptom

Scenario 1.

• Error on “Configure Web application Server" during install:
    • Invalid Application Server Instance Name. No Compatible Web Server Found. Please check <as_instance> value in <install dir>.
  • In the bomm_0.log found in %TEMP% folder and once the install fails/completes this will be copied to <BOE_HOME>/BusinesObjects Enterprise 12.0/logging folder).
    • Using JAVA_HOME=X:\IT\Something\Something_
    • The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. '"X:\IT\Something\Something_"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
    • The install path used is X:\IT\Something\Something_&_something\something.

Scenario 2.

• Same error on "Configure Web Application Server" but...
  • In the bomm_0.log found in %TEMP% folder and once the install fails/completes this will be copied to <BOE_HOME>/BusinesObjects Enterprise 12.0/logging folder).
    • Look for similar:
      • MSI (c) (18:54) [11:11:36:204]: Dir (target): Key: TempFolder , Object: E:\1\.
      • Property(C): ROOTDRIVE = E:\.
    • A Drive letter and only one \.

Environment

• All supported Windows Operating Systems.

Reproducing the IssueScenario 1.

1. Download the software into a path that includes a special character.
    1. Like, X:\IT\Something\Something_&_Somthing.
  2. Extract the software.
  3. Run setup.exe.

Scenario 2.

1. From the command line you should get the following:
    1. echo %TEMP% and the result would be similar to E:\1\.
    2. echo %TMP% and the result would be similar to E:\1\.
  2. These are set prior to the installer running by ?.

CauseScenario 1.

• The installer package contains its own java component to accomplish the install. When the installer runs it sets a JAVA_HOME according to where the installer runs from and this has a special character  in the JAVA_HOME path. Java can't handle this.

Scenario 2.

• The path for temp where the installer looks to deploy has only one folder in its structure path. This causes issues with the deployment of the war files.

ResolutionScenario 1.

• Run the installer from a location where the path does not include special characters.

Scenario 2.

• Rest the temp locations to the following:
    • set TEMP=e:\1\users\temp
    • set TMP=e:\1\users\temp
  • Run the installer.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish, the problem I had was the one described in scenario 2, so changing the environment variables tmp and temp to point to another folder made the setup program to work fine.  Thanks a lot for passing the note !

Best regards,

Fernando