cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Request

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have 2 clients like 900,901  in our Development server.What is the transport process within same server different clients??

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is highly recommended that you not allow configurators to run transactions in your main configuration client. (There is significant discussion concerning what to call this client. Some folks call it the "Gold" client, some call it the "Configuration Master" client. "Gold" client can also refer to a client in which no one is allowed to log which only receives transports and thus remains pristine and can be a source for emergencies and other purposes, hence the confusion. Also, there is a commercial product called "Gold Client" which facilitates movement of data from one client to another.)  For the sake of this discussion, I'll call it the "Configuration Master" or CM.

ALL configuration should be done in the CM and nowhere else. In order to test the configuration, configurators should be trained to log in to your Unit Test client and use the transaction SCC1 to copy the config from the OPEN transport for testing. Transports should not be closed until they unit test properly in your Unit Test client. This process puts the configurator in complete control of how many iterations of testing they do and introduces no transport delays. It also keeps the number of transports to a minimum since they only close the transport AFTER they've gone through multiple rounds of SCC1 and unit testing.

Once the transport is closed, the completed config should be transported into your unit test client, your emergency backup/"gold"/pristine client, and your downstream system clients: typically a pristine QA client plus at least one integration test client (which also goes by different names: string test, cycle test, integration test client). Every customer and systems integrator uses a different mix if names to mean the same or slightly different things, so be prepared for a flame war now on how my names are all wrong and some other slight variation is the TRUE set of names. This transport is accomplished by properly setting up your transport paths via STMS.

The important thing is that you have a CLIENT STRATEGY which is well defined and thought out at the beginning of the project. This strategy should be WELL COMMUNICATED. Configurators, developers, and basis folks should be TRAINED on which clients are used for which function BEFORE they're allowed to create/use transports. I believe an example client strategy can be found as one of the ASAP accelerators which you can find and download from http://service.sap.com/roadmap.

There is an excellent book on transports in general called SAP Change and Transport Management by Armin Koesegi and Rainer Nerding published by SAP Press. It's available directly from SAP Press, via Amazon, or probably any other major bookstore. I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a copy of this book. I keep it on my desk at all times. It is extremely useful. I have no connection to SAP Press or to the authors in any way, this is just a book that I use often and recommend frequently.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Create a transport request in client 900. Then login to client 901. Execute tcode SCC1 .

Enter the source client as 900. Enter the transport request number.

Check " Including request subtasks"

Start immediately.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may configure transport via STMS or use SCC1

Regards

Roman