Did you mean: 

Retrofit Question - ChaRM 7.0

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We currently have ChaRM setup with a three tier landscape:

DEV  >  QAS  >  PROD

This is working fine, however we also have an EDU (Education) environment that we use for training purposes.  As this system is not in the TMS landscape, it's slowly getting out-of-date as no transports are being migrated here.

I was thinking ChaRM's Retrofit functionality may come in handy here?  Basically, any change that is migrated to PROD should also be imported into EDU.  So it would look something like this:

DEV  >  QAS  >  PROD

↓

EDU

I've done a bit of reading on retrofit but I'm slightly confused on how to set this up.  Would the above proposal work and how would we achieve this?

Thanks
Shaun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mich_vollmer
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

it would be much more easier if your training system was in the landscape already. Then the internal retrofit entries would have at least been created. Now (and as you do not have another system which is retrofitted - we could then just copy the internal retrofit entries) this is actually easier another way.

1.) you would have to enter the system in the logical copmonent as retrofit system

2) enter the system in your task list (check out here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3195637)

3) I never added a retrofit system but I would assume the retrofit task is generated, otherwise it would have to be manually inserted in the task list

4) you could do a retransport with a change of all objects...then the retrofit entries would be generated. But this is risky because you might have objects which are right now developed on and you might run into critical objects issues, etc...so I would advise better...

to create a copy of transports from all changes and transport into your training system. Here, only the risk is at the training system. Be aware that objects developed in open transports come with the copy of transports, so you might check this first.

But I would do 1 and 2 so I can use retrofit in the future.

Hope that helps...

Best regards,

Michael

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar/Michael,

I have added the EDU system (as Retrofit system) in SMSY logical component.

Have then added this logical component to project, activated ChaRM and created a task list.

In the task list all my systems appear correctly:

DEV (Development Sys), QAS (QAS Sys), EDU (Retrofit Sys), PROD (Production System).

I then create a standard correction and progress it to "Consolidated".  At this point the transport is released.  I then import the transport into QAS via the task list which works fine.  I then execute the "Start Retrofit" action in ChaRM.  However I get the following error:

No systems of type Retrofit for maintenance cycle M000000131

What does this error mean and why is it appearing?  As I said above, the Retrofit system is definitely appearing in the task list so not sure why this message is appearing.

If I go to the Task List and Import into EDU (Retrofit System) from here, the transpot is imported and everything works.  The transport can then be imported into Production.

Ideally I don't want to have to go into the task list to do this.  Also, is it possible to import into retrofit AFTER Production.  At the moment it appears no changes can be imported into Production until retrofit import has been completed.

Thanks!!!!

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One more thing:

In dolores retrofit blog, I noticed that in the task list her Retroft System was AFTER the Production system and came under the following folders:

System without Transports>Post Processing System>Retrofit System>System Name

And there was only two actions in this list, one being "Start Retrofit".

My task list looks completely different.  My Retrofit system appears the same as all the other systems and sits between QAS and Production systems.  It also has the same actions as the other systems and not the two that dolores showed.  It also doesn't come under the same folder structure as dolores, it simply comes under "Retrofit System".

I'm guessing I've gone wrong somewhere but I've followed your tips and dolores blog and not sure what I've done wrong?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaun

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Firstly, let me apologise for multiple posts...sorry!!!!!!!

Ok, have progressed with this a little further.  It seems that you need to have TWO logical components saved against your project (not just one).  So I have created a second Logical Component with only only system which is EDU (Retrofit System).

When I do this the task list appears like it does in dolores blog.  Now, this is the bit I'm struggling to understand: Prakhar, you said:

"first you choose the source which is original request and then you need to provide a transport request in EDU system which is your target request and Then RETROfit"

I can get up to the stage where I choose the source (original request) but I get stuck when trying to choose the target request.  It's bringing up an error saying no target request exists.  So I have to create a transport in EDU (Retrofit system) as well??? 

This is all getting a bit too complicated for what we want it for.  We don't want to create any additional transports...all we want is for the released transport to be imported into EDU.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's just easier to add ER3 as a fourth system in our logical component and just the "Import" job from the task list after QAS and before PROD.  See my post two posts about this one.

Feedback please welcome.

Shaun

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

Better close the maintenance cycle and create a new one.

don't worry about open message they wil be attached to your new maintenance cycle automatically.

this will resolve issue.

Regards

Prakhar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes correct

when you retrofit you have to choose existing transport to move the changes in the target system.

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

I understand the bit about the existing transport.  I don't really understand the bit about the "target" transport.  Surely we don't have to create a new transport...we just want to import the existing into the target (EDU) system.

I have already closed maintenance cycle and created new one...doesn't change anything in regards to my last post.

Thanks
Shaun

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

If you don't want to create a new TR in target system you can't use retrofit.

Retrofit means you are using BC sets for customizing changes which means

when you use Retrofit  a TR which has customizing changes it create a BC in Target system and activates it and save this into new transport Request of this systems

(it is not importing)

that is why u need to hav a new transport request

Regards

Prakhar

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar.

Sounds like retrofit isn't going to suit our requirements.

Instead I'll add the EDU system into our system landscape and get Basis to schedule a job to pickup these transport before the Production migration.

Thanks

Shaun

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes retrofit is a wonderful functionality and in 7.1 it is also providing almost 100% support to abap object

you can check the below blog

http://scn.sap.com/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/08/27/change-request-management-scenario-retrofit...

basically in the logical component you need to have a system called as retrofit and rest is all similar to mention in blog

hope it helps

regards

prakhar

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar

So in 7.0 will it import both customizing and workbench requests into the retrofit system?

Also, as per my above post, can the retrofit into EDU happen AFTER the Production import?  Or for retrofit, does the Transport of Copies HAVE to go into EDU as well?  (we would just prefer the transport to be import and not the transport of copies).

I have already had a quick read through dolores blog but I'll have a proper read later.

Thanks

Shaun

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun

yes correct it will import both to ur EDU systems

retrofit happen after the request is released or status is Consolidated for normal correction and to be moved to production

so as a general rule you can inform the team to do the retrofit first and then do proj import.

transport of copies are not involved because request are already released with CONSOLIDATED status

first you choose the source which is original request and then you need to provide a transport request in EDU system which is your target request and Then RETROfit

hope it ans ur query

regards

prakhar