cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 2012.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my system from SQL Server 2008 --> SQL Server 2012.Even though SQL Server 2012 is only available in beta version only, we have decided to use it. We want to upgrade the DB from SQL 2008 to 2012.

Can we follow the SAP Note 151603, even though there is nothing mentioned about 2012.

Also, request inputs from people who have actually performed the following:

01) Detach the data from 2008

02) Install 2012

03) Attach the data on 2012

04) Running the a STM.Zip with option upgrade

Thanks & Best Regards

Ragunathan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ragunathan,

Just to complement Jairo's response, be aware of the following information in note 1651862:

Using SQL Server 2012 Beta in SAP systems
SQL Server 2012 Beta may only be deployed to test systems. SAP will accept BC-DB-MSS messages for these test systems, but the problem resolution might require extra time and the implementation of a newer SQL Server 2012 version.

Using SQL Server 2012 Beta for productive SAP systems is generally not supported. If your project schedule does not allow you to wait for the general support of SQL Server 2012, you should open a customer message on component BC-DB-MSS requesting an individual support statement. Provide your project plan, your test plan and the reason for your request. After assessing risk and supportability of your project, SAP might support your installation on the basis of an "individual release".

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

jairo_pedroza
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ragunathan,

I recommend you use export/import. It is smooth process and you can implement compress in whole database during import.

see link http://scn.sap.com/community/sql-server/blog/2012/05/07/sap-ecc-60-running-with-ms-sql-server-2012

Here you will get more information about.

Regards,

Jairo Pedroza

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems that SQL Server 2012 is now supported by SAP as per this document. However, I strongly advice AGAINST doing a detach/attach process to upgrade SQL Server databases due to the risks. When you attach a database to a later version, the database gets upgraded and there is no way to re-attach it back to an older version due to differences in the metadata. A backup/restore process is a more recommended approach so that you still have a copy of your database on the older version in case the upgrade process failed.

After completing the upgrade, make sure to run the database consistency check against the database and perform a statistics update.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about detach it and take backup all files for safety..

and then attach it.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yea, as long as you have the backup, you can try it out.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang