cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about copy a NW73 Abap+Java system without sapinst

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to figure out a quick way to copy a NW73 BW system from production to QA without having to use sapinst install or Move. We are on DB2 and AIX. I used DB2 redirect restore to copy the database from production to QA. I also changed the SAP profile parameter j2ee/instance_id on target system to match that of the production. I was able to bring up the Java server and ICM.

I know we have to change a few things manually both on the Abap and Java stack. On the Java side, I know we have to install license using NWA, change server name and password for JCO RFC provider, as well as configure the SLD settings.

My question is: Does any one have a documentation on the steps need to be done on the Java stack after a database restore/refresh in addition to those I mentioned above? I'd appreciate any help you all can provide.

Thanks and Regards,

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Dear Jeff,

Kindly note that ABAP system copy is well possible by database restore method (skipping the sapinst method) but for Java Stack there is no other alternative.

For consistency of the Java Stack you will necessarily have to use the system copy method (sapinst method) as described in the Dual stack system copy guide. Due to box number and instance ID maintained at various places it is necessary to follow the system copy method. No other workaround possible and supported by SAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Would agree with Siva regarding the usage of SAPInst for system copy involving a Java stack. Last week tried a EP Java system copy without SAPInst. It is possible but involved about a day's effort of manual activities. Many manual activities could be avoided if SAPInst is being used.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek, Siva  and Srikishan for your input. I'd agree that it's probably easier just do the database restore and sapinst IF the dual stack system in question is NW 70 or older. But in NW71 and newer, all Java related information are stored in the database, as opposed to some of them at the OS level (as it's the case for NW70 or older). According to "System Copy Guide SAP copy for SAP system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 Abap+Java", If you are just refreshing your database instance, you can do a database restore, AND change the j2ee/instance_id to match that of your source system.  I did a DB2 re-direct restore, changed j2ee/instance_id to match my source, then I was able to bring up Java server and logon to NWA, etc.

So copying a NW71 or newer system using database restore without sapinst is doable in terms of bring up the Java engine. The questions I'm facing is "what else do I have to change to make the system functional?". As I mentioned couple of steps such as, installing license using NWA, changing server name and password for JCO RFC provider, as well as configuring the SLD settings. There are lots of other things need to be done and I'm looking for a list of those things. By the way I believe sapinst does some of those things for you but not many of those things. For example, if your target system uses a different SLD than your source system, you still have to manually do that. RFC destinations is another example, sapinst won't change that for you.

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed. Please reply if anyone has further insight.

Best regards,

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for letting us know the info regarding direct system copy for NW 7.3 - had never tried it.

Also perhaps you may have already checked out the system copy guide at SMP:

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001299462010E.pdf

Chapter 7 containing Follow-up activities after the system copy.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikishan,

Yes I'm aware of the follow-up activities you mentioned. I'm actually looking for detailed instruction becasue the steps in the guide seems to be very limited. Thanks.

-Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

As per my experience, I would recommend system copy method (sapinst) only for dual stack or Java AS systems. Because we will have to do many manual steps to bring JAVA up and running after restore/recovery method like instance.properties etc. I had very tough time to resolve the issues and bring up Java when I have done restore/recovery method on dual-stack/JAVA AS system.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar