cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we configure 50 background jobs at one time???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have requirement to schedule 50 background jobs to post some FI entries in Development System so is it possible that we can configure 50 jobs at a time? How much resource (C.P.U and RAM) will be required for this operation??? What SAP profile parameters values need to be changed??

NOTE: One job is taking around 45mins to 1 hour to post entries in system.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Hans

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Performance Optimization Guide by Thomas Schneider has a chapter on Analyzing SAP Work Processes which I think would be valuable for you. This book is one I keep on my desk at all times and I recommend it strongly to anyone who has day to day hands on responsibility for SAP systems. I am in no way connected to Mr. Schneider or SAP Press. This is just a straight up recommendation since I'm guessing you're going to have many similar queries to this one in the near future. "Teach a man to fish..." and all that.

Also, please see Note 39412 - How many work processes should be configured?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your valueable reply. As per the requirement we are going to allocate 10 C.P.U and 25GB RAM to the server.

Here are some parameters and their values which i think need to be changed as per the requirement. Please let me know what values should be assigned to execute 50 jobs.

1) rdisp/wp_no_btc = 3

2) abap/buffersize = 400000

3) ztta/roll_first = 1024

4) ztta/roll_area = 3000320

5) abap/heap_area_dia = 2000683008

6) abap/heap_area_nondia = 2000683008

7) abap/heap_area_total = 2000683008

😎 abap/heaplimit = 40894464

Regards

Ashish Hans

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will have to extend the em/initial_size_mb ,so that enough extended memory is available for the workprocesses. If the database is not running on the same host then you can allocate 14-15 GB to extended memory. Do not change the value of ztta/roll_extension.

Please ensure that you reduce the number of dialog work process and increase the number of background workprocess.  If a background workprocess is idle , it would max consume 50 MB of space. Once it starts executing a task , it would allocate heap memory and finally extended memory. So do not extend any heap related parameters. Once roll_area is consumed , it would directly start consuming extended memory  once heap memory is not available for allocation. Do not start all the background jobs at once , start them one by one and check the extended memory and heap memory utilization from ST02.

Regards

Ratnajit

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can run but do you have so many background work process to execute all jobs in parallel and it also depends upon system resources.

Thanks

Sunny

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that it depends on how many WPs your system can handle and how many servers (dialog and central) you have available.  If you can't modify your current WP Distribution via RZ04 to match these conditions, then you should consider whether the underlying hardware resources are sufficient; Optionally, considering the job times, you could run them sequentially over a weekend.

Certainly the development system is an appropriate place to experiment with your BASIS knowledge.

How much resource (C.P.U and RAM) will be required for this operation???

How long is this bit of string ?

hth