cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapters

Former Member
0 Kudos

With regards to adapters that refer to SAP R/3 Systems... Are they the same as IDOC in the sense that you dont need a sender adapter because R/3 systems can send directly to the pipeline....

So for

RFC adapters I know all you need is SM59 configured in the R/3 systems but do you need to confirgure anything in the XI Abap stack?

XI adapters do you need anything configured in the R/3 system or Abap stack of XI?

Also for both of the above do you need sender com channels or does r/3 send directly to the pipeline?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK and what about XI Adapters for Proxies?

Also could you please tell me why you would use an RFC or Proxy as oppose to an IDOC

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>OK and what about XI Adapters for Proxies?

Go through these threads on the same topic

>>Also could you please tell me why you would use an RFC or Proxy as oppose to an IDOC

The best option to connect with R/3 is in the order of

1. Proxy

2. IDOC

3. RFC

But this can change with scenario. Suppose you have a std IDOC for sending the msg and the scenario is asynch, the best option is IDOC adapter. The adapter type is choosed based upon the scenario requirements.

Regards,

Jai Shankar

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

><i>Also could you please tell me why you would use an RFC or Proxy as oppose to an IDOC</i>

Check this blog by Ravi which answers this question ,

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

you will use a RFC conn to get some data from the target system - since R/3 supports IDOCs, so for R/3 idocs you will always use IDOC adapter - as this is the best way for IDOCs.........but for getting a table data you can use a RFC conn to R/3 and then over this conn, you can get the data in your JAVA mapping program.

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

bhavesh in the blog he mentions the following

The biggest advantage of the proxy is that it always by passes the Adapter Engine and will directly interact with the application system and Integration engine - so it will and should give us a better performance.

By this I understand that Proxies do not use the J2ee engine and goes directly from sender to pipeline and then directly from pipeline to receiver can you clairfy this please as if this is the case then no need for comm channels

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

You are correct in your understanding that Proxies directly deal with Integration Engines.

But, you do need a Receiver XI adapter. and not a Sender XI adapter.

The reason is the same as the case of a Idoc and HTTP ( when you need only Receiver adapters)

Reason is that you need to send data from the XI 's piple line ( integration engine ) to an external system . The question now arises that from where does XI know to whom or what connection is to be used to send the data?

That is what you do in your Reciever HTTP adapters , Idoc and XI adapters. You give the connection details. But, these connections are configured on the ABAP stack in SM 59 . Even though you configruee the adapters in the Integration Directlry, in the runtime, these adapters are on the ABAP stack only and so they are used as a containers to point to the connection parameters.

In the case of sender adapters of HTTP , Idoc, and XI adapters as the message is PUSH based when the Sending application sends the message to XI, no need to an adapter as such.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok so SM59 is needed in XI for Proxie but not for RFC?

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> ok so SM59 is needed in XI for Proxie but not for RFC?

Either create a connection in Sm59 and use the same in your XI receiver adapter or manually give the same details in the adapter itself. Both are possible.

For RFC adapter s . nothing needed in XI on SM59. TCP IP connection needed on SAP system only for sender RFC calls from SAP to XI.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>ok so SM59 is needed in XI for Proxie but not for RFC?

SM59 is used for configuring RFC destinations. You create one of type H in <b>R/3</b> and not in XI for Proxy. But remember this is one time activity. Even if you have n number of interfaces, you will have a single destination.

In case of RFC you create a connection of type 3 again in R/3. But this connection is one each for RFC interface. If you have N number of interface then you have N number of connections..

Regards,

Jai Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deleted content...

Regards,

Jai Shankar

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you people for helping me understand this....

No doubt I will have further questions laters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

you are always welcome for your queries............

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

so for XI Adapters you need a communication channel for the sender?

Also please clarify for RFC you need TCP/IP in the sender and receiver system if both are RFC for example

and with XI adapters you need http in both sender and receiver systems if both are using proxies for example...

In both RFC and XI do you need to configure anything on the ABAP stack of XI or is all config done in the Integration Directory?

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> so for XI Adapters you need a communication channel

> for the sender?

Not needed. For proxies , message will hit integration engien directly and so no sender XI adapter. Only Receiver XI adapter wil be needed to rotue the message to the correct SAP system

>

> Also please clarify for RFC you need TCP/IP in the

> sender and receiver system if both are RFC for

> example

TCP IP connection is needed only for Sender RFC scenario and it is maintained in the SAP system. To call RFC's from XI , you only need a Receiver RFC adapter with the conenction details of the SAP system

>

> and with XI adapters you need http in both sender and

> receiver systems if both are using proxies for

> example...

not sure what you mean here..

>

> In both RFC and XI do you need to configure anything

> on the ABAP stack of XI or is all config done in the

> Integration Directory?

All configuration done on the Integration Directoy. Nothing needed on SM 59.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

See for XI adapters, you will only have to guarantee that the target system supports HTTP protocol or in other words has a HTTP port. So you will create a HTTP conn in SM59 for your target system. Then in ID, you will create your XI adapter and you will tell your addressing type as HTTP Destination and you will tell your HTTP conn of SM59 in your HTTP destination.

For RFC adapter, you need to specify the logon data for your target system so that RFC can connect to your target system.

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

and with XI adapters you need http in both sender and

> receiver systems if both are using proxies for

> example...

not sure what you mean here..

Basically it is the same as the rfc question... someone earlier said that for proxies you need to configure a http connection in SM59... I was wandering if you must do in sender r/3 and receiver r/3.

Also regarding proxies you say only need a comm channel on the receiver side... well why is the XI sender adapter available? When would you use it?

Also do you need sender agreement etc if you do not need a sender comm channel?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

<i>Also do you need sender agreement etc if you do not need a sender comm channel?</i> - No.......in any scenario, sender agreement is only created if you are having a sender comm channel.

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

For IDOCs, you dont need a sender agreement.

<i>So for RFC adapters I know all you need is SM59 configured in the R/3 systems</i> - yes

<i>do you need to confirgure anything in the XI Abap stack</i> - no

For XI adapters, you need HTTP connection to target system in SM59 and then in your XI adapter, you will use this HTTP connection.

Thanks,

Rajeev Gupta

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

For IDoc's you do not need a Sender Idoc adapter. You create a RFC destination of Type 3 and use thisto post the Idoc to XI. This Idoc carrives at the Integration Engine directly and so you do not need a Sender Idoc adapter.

For RFC's you create a TCP IP connection in your SAP system and a Sender RFC adapter in XI. The request message from your SAP system is sent to the j2EE engine of XI and not to the Integration Engine as the RFC adapter resides on the J2ee stack. The RFC adapter converts the RFC message into RFC XML and sends this to the integraion engine.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

RIcardo,

Sender communication channel is not needed for IDOC/HTTP adapter and Proxy. Because IDOC and HTTP adapters are part of ABAP stack. They can send the msg directly to Integration server pipeline. All other adapters are part of J2EE adapter frame work including RFC adapter. Adapters that reside in J2EE adapter frame work require communication channel and sender agreement.

Regards,

Jai Shankar