cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager and Iplanet on same Oracle?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus and approachers,

I am supposed to install a Solution Manager on a Sun machine where there is an Iplanet release running over an Oracle 11.2.0.3.

The question is: Is it possible?

I have read some notes but I don´t find a clear answer. For instance, if it is needed to upgrade Oracle for  Iplanet requirements (kernel or other binaris), could it cause Solman not to work? Could I have problems with ORACLE_HOME vars? Others that come to your mind?

Thank you all,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't do it, you already have given the reasons. The Oracle installation for a SAP system is very different (talking file system and tablespace layout, patches, user environments) than a standard Oracle database application. I have seen a few Oracle DBA's (with no SAP background) trying to install Oracle for a SAP system and they all failed for the first time (trying to manually create a database, database users and such).

You can try it for experimental purposes, but never if you like to use those systems for real. Sadly you will not find a single SAP note stating, that this is not supported. There is just too many combinations of Oracle applications, license models, technical restrictions.

Cheers Michael

592393 - FAQ: Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michel, I will try!!!

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes it is possible (but I think not recommended or may be even not supported by SAP).

You would need to try an MCOD installation approach, faking that the existing DB is a SAP one.

Yes, if you need to upgrade the DB to release 12 before it is supported for Solman, you might get into trouble.

And yes, you might even get trouble with the ORACLE_HOME Var in installations or upgrades, because the installation programms might force specific values. These might be possible to spoof with symlinks...

Some other things come to my mind (licensing, shared resources, ...) but at this point you hopefully already decided for a seperate ORACLE_HOME dedicate to your SAP system?

Volker