Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS and MSS security

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

i have a question, which im sure isnt too difficult for me to explain,

we had a ESS/MSS solution based on OM( ORG MANAGEMENT) and now we have changed to PA( personal administration),  we have also introduced a set of new Infotypes.  I wanted to ask, what will be the best way of securing these new INFOTYPES? im worried becasue we changed from OM to PA how can i secure these infotypes?

any ideas, more than welcomed.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Try to use Org Key (VDSK1) field of auth object P_ORGIN to restrict your PA infotypes. Org key is an OM attribute comprising of Personnel area & Cost center which can be used to restrict access to PA data (infotypes). Your ESS role will primarily need auth object P_PERNR to render access to user's own personnel number and MSS role will require P_ORGIN/P_ORGXX.

By the way, restricting organizational structure via Structural authorization is much granular form of HCM security as per my experience so far. So I am obviously curios why would you decide to use normal authorizations instead of structural authorizations now?

Thanks

Sandipan

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Try to use Org Key (VDSK1) field of auth object P_ORGIN to restrict your PA infotypes. Org key is an OM attribute comprising of Personnel area & Cost center which can be used to restrict access to PA data (infotypes). Your ESS role will primarily need auth object P_PERNR to render access to user's own personnel number and MSS role will require P_ORGIN/P_ORGXX.

By the way, restricting organizational structure via Structural authorization is much granular form of HCM security as per my experience so far. So I am obviously curios why would you decide to use normal authorizations instead of structural authorizations now?

Thanks

Sandipan

0 Kudos

Hi Sandipan,

yes we are using structural authoirsations, so your suggesting for the MSS access to use P_ORGINCON? to restrict?  anything else?

thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Yes for restricting PA data/infotypes, you will need to use P_ORGINCON & P_ORGXXCON. I understand you are using context sensitive structural authorization model, so the structural profile you create for MSS will further restrict the access within Org. structure (OM objects). In case you would want to exclude a manager from maintaining/displaying his own PA infotypes, then P_PERNR has to be added to the role.

Hope this explains.

Thanks

Sandipan