cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web dynpro java deployement NW EP 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I worked on NW EP 7.0, without using NWDI configurations.

Deployed application in DEV, QA, PRD independently.

by specifying :    

In Netweaver Developer Studio ,

Windows preference -  J2EE engine :    host name and port number, giving sdm password

Now I want develop and deploy WDJ applications in NW 7.3.

I specified the  hostname, port number

But when deploye giving error.

1. Is that possible to deploy applications in netweaver developer studio 7.0  -- with NW EP 7.3 ?

2. Is that necessary to develop applications only in CE ?

3. Is that compulsory to use NWDI, or independently can we deploy in DEV, QA, PRD?

Kindly help .

Thanks,

Surya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Surya

If I understood you correctly, you want to develop apps on 7.3 platform...

1. Is that possible to deploy applications in netweaver developer studio 7.0  -- with NW EP 7.3 ?

No..You need NetWeaver Studio version 7.3 to deploy application on Ep 7.3...You need version compatibility..However you can deploy applications which are developed earlier with studio 7.0 to the new 7.3 but you need to migrate the custom code to the new version.

No, you may chose not to if you do not intend to use any CE functionality.

3. Is that compulsory to use NWDI, or independently can we deploy in DEV, QA, PRD?

Using NWDI is one of the recommended way for development..But if you are not planning to use NWDI, you can chose local development..But you should only deply on DEV...and then transport the code thru Test, Qa & PRD...Should not directly deploy on QA or PRD...

Sandip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your valuable answers.

I have started downloading NWDS 7.3 to deploy applications with Netweaver EP 7.3.

Again in the installation procedure of nwds 7.3 ( found some document) mentioned that

it should be jdk 1.6 and it should same as WAS of netweaver 7.3.

I can install jdk1.6 and nwds 7.3 but the WAS on netweaver 7.3 is jdk 1.4. So how to overcome this.

Thanks,

Surya

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

are you kidding? your nw7.3 is on jdk1.4?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ju Wu,

Good answer.

My basis consultant has installed , jdk 1.4 for 64 bit.   So, NW 7.3 also works on jdk1.4 .

Thanks,

Surya

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wow...thats strange...it may be working on JDK 1.4, but do not use 1.4...Would suggest you ask your basis team to change the JVM to either SUn or SAP JVM 1.6...Your basis team probably need some knowledge update...

JDK 1.6 has lot of improvements, you can realize the benefits of 7.3 if you install it on the 1.6...

And install the NDWS 7.3 also on JDk 1.6, not on 1.4...

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wow.....this is really amazing....

how long that basis has been working with netweaver java?

sap jdk(1.6) is installed during the server installation. no need to install jdk additionally...

what your basis installed means nothing....

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

do you think there is any possibility to run nw7.3 on jdk1.4?

please think carefully.

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jun

You are right when you say that...I dnt think 7.3 can run on 1.4...it will run into lot of issues because of jdk api compatibility issues.

However when surya mentioned its running, i had to say its stange....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandip & Jun Wu,

Yes I checked it is Jdk 1.4 for 64 bits for NW 7.3 and it is running. however, Sandip is exactly right there are and would be alot of compatibility issues that we need to face.

He has installed, oralce, jdk1.4 and installation of ABAP Stack then java stack.

But after NW 7.3, is that any possible to  uninstall jdk1.4 and install jdk1.6. Or need to proceed from the start ? Probably, this is the question Basis people can reply.

Thanks,

Surya

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm, that is near-impossible...

If you check the .\work\dev_jstart log, there should be a hint of what Java version you're using.

I.e.:

F  Java SDK properties (/usr/sap/zzz/zzz/work/jstart.jdk)

F    root directory    : /usr/sap/zzz/zzz/exe/sapjvm_5

F    vendor            : SAP AG

F    version           : 1.5.0_22

F    cpu               : amd64

F    java vm type      : server

F    java vm version   : 5.1.046

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as i said, the sap jdk1.6 is installed by default during the ep installation.

you have to do nothing

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there is no compatibility  issue because there is no possibility to run your 7.3 netweaver java server on jdk1.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin & Jun Wu,

Thanks for you quite helpful answers.

Our basis installed jdk1.4 for 64 bit, set the (path & java_home) variables, installed nw7.3

when observed the file : .\work\dev_jstart

Java environment properties (C:\usr\sap\EPJ\J02\work\jstart.jvm)

root directory    : C:\usr\sap\EPJ\J02\exe\sapjvm_6

vendor            : SAP AG

version           : 1.6.0_17

cpu               : amd64

java vm type      : server

java vm version   : 6.1.018

jvm library name  : jvm.dll

library path      : C:\usr\sap\EPJ\J02\exe\sapjvm_6\jre\bin\server;C:\usr\sap\EPJ\J02\exe\sapjvm_6\jre\bin

executable path   : C:\usr\sap\EPJ\J02\exe\sapjvm_6\bin

And when tried to find variables and  java version t :

Path =<some values>; C:\j2sdk1.4.2_22-x64\bin

Java_home = C:\j2sdk1.4.2_22-x64

At command prompt:

Java  -version

java version "1.4.2_22-rev"

Java(TM) Platform, Standard Edition for Business (build 1.4.2_22-rev-b03)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.4.2_22-rev-b03, mixed mode)

Now I will trie to uninstall jdk 1.4, so that however SAP will use jdk 1.6.

Thanks Jun Wu for your correct point i.e 1.6 during installation.

Thanks,

Surya

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why you want to uninstall jdk1.4?

no harm to leave it there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK.

Shall I remove the environment variables ? Do I need to set the environment varibles for jdk1.6 ?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. not possible

2. you have to import your application to nwds7.3, which will guide you through the migration.

3. not mandatory.

amolgupta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Surya,

Ans. NWDS(designtime) and server(rutime) have many jars that are synced up for working with each other i.e they complement each other during designtime and runtime respectively. For your 7.0 code to work on EP 7.3, you will have to upgrade your code for EP 7.3 using NWDS 7.3. Put in simple words your NWDS should be the same version as your EP.

Ans. No it is not necessary, depends on your application need. Developers made working applications when CE was not introduced. CE stands for Composition Environment, it provides you the environment, you may make very simple apps/demos that dont deal wth Composites.

Ans. Its not compulsory but highly recommended with greatest emphasis to use NWDI to host, manage, maintain, change, transport etc your code. It leaves a bad impression when you tell that your code is not implemented with NWDI. For simple demos, self learning and POC's you may skip using NWDI, but productive code destined for production should be implemented with NWDI. in fact you should never directly deploy your code into QA or PROD environments directly from NWDS, it should be moved via NWDI. NWDI is the parallel implementation of the proven SAP Transport Management Sytem in the ABAP stack for the SAP Java Stacks. Put in simple words you have to use NWDI for productive code.

Thanks and Regards,

-Amol Gupta

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It shuoldn't be possible, what error do you get?

But apart from your problem, what is the businesscase of NOT using NWDI?

Deploying applications from NWDS to an environment other than DEV is against all SAP standards