cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For SAP which is the better platform AIX or Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am handling the SAP implementation project for the first time for one of my customer.

I need to give major advantages and disadvantages of AIX and windows platforms for SAP installations and i need to justify the reasons.

Can any one help me with the information.

even i have started analyzing and collecting the information, But in the mean while i thought of taking experts opinion.

So please do the needful,

Thanks,

Veeresh K R

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically SAP can run on any supported platform with very good performance ensuring the system is optimally sized and tuned.

Even though historically Unix platforms are considered to be stable , but windows would also perform well with the kind of advancement in technology.

Also , check the compatibility of the RDBMS you choose with the operating systems. AIX with DB2 LUW is the preferred one whereas with Windows , SQL server goes well. Even though there can be lot of debate on this , but same vendor products are always coded in sync to best use the features.

At the end , your customer would be more interested in the "Return on Investment".

I suggest you figure out the number of users who would concurrently use the system and also take into consideration the potential growth in the next 5 years. Based on the number for each functional area, determine the SAPS using the SAP quicksizer tool.

Then determine a sample configuration for both AIX and Windows using the SD two-tier benchmark table

http://www36.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx

Then check with the hardware vendors with details on the solution and cost.

Regards

Ratnajit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Hystorically SAP is considered to be stable on unix based platforms eventhough they claim they are stable in all the operting systems.

The answer also  depends on the type of the DB which you have to use.if it's MSSQL the only option is Windows.

Depending on the Sizing, the no of users , DB and the environment you can make a list of advantages and disadvantages.

Kind Regards,

Jacob