cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect from local system to Central Repository in Multi-User environment

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently trying to setup Multi-user environment in DS 4.0.

1. We have created the Secure Central Repository through DS Repository Manager.

2. Registered the Secure Central Repository in Central Management Console.

3. Created the Required Users and provided the Access rights to the users which should be logging in to the central repository in CMC.

4. Created the same Users and groups in DS Management Console.

5. Installed the DS Designer on local client.

when we try to login from local designer window to Central repository it is asking for System - host [:Port]: , Username, Password.

we tried with the SERVERNAME:4000, USERNAME, PASSWORD but it is not accepting.

Kindly let me know is there anything that I am missing during this whole process.

Kindly treat this as very urgent requirement.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand your requirement correctly, say you have 5 users. All 5 of them need to need access secure central DS repository. If this the case, in addition to the steps you have mentioned above, add these...

1. We have created the Secure Central Repository through DS Repository Manager.

1a. create 5 local repositories.

2. Registered the Secure Central Repository in Central Management Console.

3. Created the Required Users and provided the Access rights to the users which should be logging in to the central repository in CMC.

3a. provide access to local repositories for each user.

4. Created the same Users and groups in DS Management Console. - here you will be associating the users (created in CMC) with central repository (registered in CMC).

5. Installed the DS Designer on local client. - while loggin on, choose 'Enterprise' logon and provide other details... server name, user, pwd. now when you log on, it will list the local repositories the user (who has logged in) has access to. choose the repository and log on. then you will able to pick the central repo under 'tools > central repositories'.

Let me know if my understanding of your requirement is right, and if yes, try the steps above. If you still face some issues, post the screen shot of the error. It will be helpful for further analysis.

Thanks, Arun J.

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Yes, your understand it correctly..

Now, please tell me, in this situation you are suggesting to create the 5 local repositories for 5 users on DS server and then register with CMC or do I need to create these 5 repositories on local client?

Registering the repository means establishing the connections for repositories under repository section? please correct if I am missing out track.

I also would like to but because of some reason it is not displaying the screenshots here.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

By saying 'create local repos', i mean, creates 5 dbs (say ds_local1, ds_local2, etc..) in the database that you use (say MS SQL Server 2008).

Open DS Repository Manager, provide necessary details and create the repositories.

Open DS Server Manager, create Job Servers by providing the 'local repo' details.

Open CMS, naviagate to 'Data Services', click 'new repository' and provide the local/central repo details one by one and register them.

If you have already created the users, associate the users to local/central repos by 'douple clicking on repo name and 'user security' on the left of the screen.

Once done, log on to DS Management Console, under 'central repos' > 'users & groups', create a group and add users to access central repo as appropriate.

Now, log on to designer with your user_id & pwd. You will able to access the central repo to which your user_id is associated.

Thanks, Arun J.

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Arun,

I did exactly what you had suggested and now with system-host[:port]:, Username password and with authentication I am able to see the local repositories through my local system DS designer. But when I clicked on local repository for connection it gives me ODBC connection error.

Please follow this link for image.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/35n3dvm.jpg[/IMG]

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35n3dvm&s=6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, On which db your repos are created? I'm not able to see the screenshot of yours.

Thanks, Arun J.

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Apologize for delay in reply, but that issue got resolved. The issue got resolved by maintaining consitency in credentials wherever required. Now I can login to the local repository on my local machine through the users created.

I created 2 job server for both my local repository and configured using DS server manager.

Now the problem is, on my local system designer, it shows job_server:3501 is not responding for my local_repo1, similarly for job_server:3502 is not responding for local_repo2. But when I logged on to the BOE server and checked with the same username password it shows job_server for both repositories are working fine and i am able to execute the job and can get the output.

Regards,

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

If anyone has face this issue Kindly reply..

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I ran into the same issue. If I understand correctly, you created local repositories on your BODS server and you also created job servers there and linked them to those repositories. Furthermore, when you log on to your Data Services administration console (by default: http://job_server:8080/DataServices) everything seems to be fine and you can even run jobs. If you cannot run jobs from the console as well, you may have a different problem.

In my case it was because the job server is only known by its host name 'job_server' to the repository, but my workstation would need to have the fully qualified host name 'job_server.mycompany.com' to connect to it. What I did was add the IP address of 'job_server.mycompany.com' to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and to add the hostname itself, the line would look like this:

128.128.128.128     job_server

(you need to replace the ip address and the job_server name with you own information)

Another option would probably be using a default domain, but that might not always be possible.    

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think so you can login to a secured central repo. If you try to resync then this could corrupt the repository.

Arun

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

If I could not connect to secured central repo then by which way I can work in Multi-user envrionment. As far what I can think is, from Multiple client system I can connect to central repository structure and exchange the multi-user copy with the central repository copy.

Kindly let me know how shall i connect to the central repository(it is on seperate BOE server) from local system.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Multiuser environment is controlled and need to be purchased and i think it is optional when you get the software. Check in the key whether it is available/enabled.

Arun

mohan_salla
Participant
0 Kudos

Create the ODBC connection with same credentials and connection name which you've used/given in the server.

former_member498903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mohan,

I will try working on this and will update you soon.

Thanks for your reply..

Regards,