cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Users for the MMC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

It's been raised on a project here that within the MMC, we all log in with MXMC_ADMIN as a saved user and would like to move to individual accounts. I've therefore created new database users as a copy of MXMC_ADMIN and found that I need to create synonyms to the MXMC_OPER tables in order for this to work and I wondered if I was missing a trick. Has anyone else solved this problem a different way and if not I'll create the synonyms and write something on how this can be achieved, all using IdM to provision the users and roles.

Thanks,

Ian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have not tried this either.

But as I see it:

On SQL server this is not a problem you just add a user to the role and there is no such thing

as synonyms.

On Oracle it all depends, the whether the synonym has been created on user level or role level.

Been informed it is mostly done on role level, but since I have not tried it I cannot guarantee you on that.

Secondly I think it is recommended to use the oper user here, at least when possible.

Suppose it cause you easly can stall a dispatcher or so if you forget to commit/auto-commit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Yes, for Oracle you would have to create synonyms for each individual user. In addition, you will of course have to assign the mxmc_admin_role.

Note that the synonyms are deleted and recreated whenever you upgrade the database (see the file mxmc-update.sql).

This means that you need to make your own copies of the 7-create-synonyms.sql and 9-drop-synonyms.sql. You must also make sure that these are updated in the install set whenever you get a new version.

Not really smooth on Oracle, but we have not received many requests for this.

Maybe there are some clever Oracle people around who knows how to use the extended property in the OLEDB connection string to avoid having to use the synonyms.

PS. You should never use the oper user for other than database updates and maintenance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've never tried this, but if you do figure it out - please let us know. 

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm.... Never done that before, lots of people talk about it and then don't seem to follow up.  Oracle or SQL Server? Are you talking about just giving people access to the DB or customizing the MXMC accounts?

Matt