cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of stand alone table in universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,Had a universe that donot follow any particular schema , i mean the table gets added to the universe and joins are made based on the Client requirement,

and there are several stand alone tables which are not included with any joins,

So now a new requirement comes up so that the dim object hard coded values are taken into a table ,so that no need of hardcoding the values at Report level SQL , I would like to know...How the performance is impacted if a stand alone table is newly added to the universe?? and it what ways i can do the performance checks??

Thanks in advance..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having a standalone table in the Universe will not have any impact on the performace if objects from these tables are not used in reporting queries.

However, if you are using objects from standalone queries, then, as there are no joins, a cartesian product will be returned, depending on the size of the data this might have a adverse impact on the performance.

In Conclusion, its ok to have a stanalone table, just do not create any objects or classes based on it, so users will not be able to drag the objects for the reporting query.

Let me know if this clears your doubts.

Regards,

Sujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

//However, if you are using objects from standalone queries//

i meant Standalone tables

Sujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit,

The object derived from that table is used at report level filter in almost all the reports ,Hence how does it affect?

Thanks ,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then in that case it will create a cartesian product as there is no join between the tables.

Consider this example. Suppose you have two tables Table1 and Table2 with 5 rows of data in each of the table. If you take objects from both these tables then you will get 5*5=25 combinations of data.

This is happening because each of the row/value in table 1 will try to map with each of the row/value in table 2 because you have not provided any Join.

Hope this helps.

Sujit Honrao